1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI drivers have stopped responding

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sazkion, Mar 9, 2013.

1. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Oh my god, you should plug in those connectors only if they are available. Try that and post results. Never use adapters with GPUs or any other device unless you don't have an other option.
  2. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I remember filling it out when I registered. I guess it didn't save. I'll fill it out once I get home from work

I believe the adapters came with the video card. Once I get home I'll plug in the other cables. I'll let you know what happens.
  3. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Those adapters do more bad than good really.
    You basically you should never use them, if the PSU don't have the proper connectors, chances are it isn't enough to power the card.
    If you have the HX, then it should have to connectors already don't use the adapters.

Generally when you see the drivers stop responding, it mean something is unstable and caused the card to crash.
  4. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure it does. Its one of those power supplies where you can plug in the cables you need (modular?) I saw some cables with the 6 pin connectors but I didn't realize they fit my video card
  5. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    Yes HX is modular and please use the connection you need. Adapters are made only for last resort. I just don't know how it can explain your 45 amp spike though. Just try it and see if it works. Hopefully, it's just a datalog error.

BTW the 2 parts that always need dedicated rails are CPU and GPU. Pretty much anything else can share rails.

I can only assure that this looks like a power problem. The data shows that your gpu tries to draw more power to crank up to 900mhz from 300mhz. It did not get enough so it pulls more amps and somehow spiked at 45 amps. Your card then went to limp mode because of it. Maybe your use of adapters really mess up the power draw and caused the spikes. It's pretty hard to make a Seasonic platform to spike and drop voltage from 12.17 to 12.00. But you did :)
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I installed individual power cords from my PSU to my Video card, unfortunately it did it again. The connectors had an option for either 8 pin or 6 pin connections. I put the 6 pin in the video card and it fit perfectly.

I just thought of trying to move my video card to another slot. Unfortunately it would be blocking two of my SATA ports but I could make it work. Could this be an option?

Attached Files:

7. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Check with your motherboard manual first whether it is also an x16 slot working at x16 also. Some motherboards have 2 x16 slots of which one works at x16 mode and the other works at less like x8. So check it.
  8. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    I need the rest of your specs. I think your motherboard could be causing this. Either that or your windows and drivers may be bad and need clean install. It just looks like the card went back to power save mode. AMD cards run at 100mhz core and 300mhz memory when you're in desktop to save power.
    Try turning that feature off and manually set it at 900mhz. Have fan at 80% also.

Check your manual and plug it in the main pcie slot which should be x16. Don't move it then.

We need to figure out why the card downclocked itself.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6870/32.html
    If you look at that link, you'll see that a 6870 down clock to exactly 100mhz and 300mhz gpu core/memory in desktop mode. Exactly the same freqs your log shows.

Your driver or windows, whatever is manipulating your card power management is broken. It could be also the game. My best bet is your driver. I think if you just manually force the card to run at 900mhz then you will not see any more frame drops. Then you know the card works. After that, do a clean install(uninstall, driver sweep, install fresh driver) and see if it's still happening.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  9. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll try to find my manual and see if it mentions anything. Thanks

I uninstalled the driver using windows. I then uninstalled CCC and all of the other AMD programs I had installed. I downloaded the newest CCC and then rebooted my computer. After the boot I installed CCC. Is their anything I should have done to remove all drivers?
  10. sazkion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I played StarCraft II on high settings for around four hours today and I didn't have any issues. I'm hoping that changing the power cords and reinstalling the driver fixed it.
  11. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    You should be good now :)
    From the looks of it, it was probably your driver. Your 2nd log proved it.
    Have fun gaming and stop worrying about it now :toast: