• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI HD 5870 Mac Pro 3.1 Boot Menu

Miller

Hi guys,

I'm seem to be really stuck at the moment. I purchased a ATI HD 5870 off ebay for my Mac Pro 3.1, the card was advertised as Mac pro compatible, didn't think much, thought i'll give it a go and see.

When I installed the card everything worked perfectly, only notch I noticed was that the apple logo boot screen took a little longer to appear after the chime.

My problem now is that I need to give the machine a clean OS X install & have no way of selecting a boot drive or accessing the disk utilities (Alt on start up)

The Mac's old GPU, an ATI 2800XT, was giving to an old work colleague, who isn't in procession of it anymore, so that idea of just using the original card, is gone out the window.

What do I have to do, to be able to access disk ulitities using the 5870? Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Miller

Miller

Never mind guys I got it working, I'm just an idiot when it come to these things, but CMD+R worked & and was able to install the OS X from there.

Thanks