1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI HD5XXX Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by TheMailMan78, Jul 28, 2009.

1. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    Guys, prepare for a whole lot of these in the games: ;)
    [​IMG]
  2. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, come to think of it, what is ati's slogan that they would put in? the only time i've ever seen an ati thing was in black and white 2, and that was just the ati logo on screen. Whereas nvidia obviously have that 'the way it's meant to be played' slogan.

also: kind of off topic, has anyone wondered as to why, after making such a fantastically pretty game, that crytek decided to make the last few seconds of crysis a background painting and some circa 2003 water effects with an obvious seam between them?
  3. Blacklash New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
  5. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, my HD5870 from Sapphire arrived 2day, and all I can say is that it is a MASSIVE card, I mean it is seriously very long, when I opened up the box and I saw it laying there in all its glory I just started laughing because how long it was, this is going in my new build, man I cant wait to I finish it, oh yeah I have posted some pics for you, sry about the picture quality, couldnt find my gd camera, anyways enjoy! :D :rockout: :twitch:

Attached Files:

6. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    *double post ftl*
  7. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's fantastic to behold, i didn't want to install it because i just wanted to stare at it lol. But it just feels powerful when you pick it up, and i like the little 'grill' things on the front :)although, how could you rest a ps3 controller on it so casually!!! at least if you had to include the ps3 controller, be symbolic and have the hd5870 on top crushing it with its power :p sorry about the double post, i'm pretty sure i pressed edit.
  8. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    LMAO ahahah that was funny about the controller part. I just wanted to compare sizes and show all of you guys how big it iz but Im pretty sure you already know and yes I was like holding for about 30mins and just couldnt believe my eyes of how big it was and how long too, and yes it does feel powerful and much lighter than I thought, I was expecting a heavy weight but for its size, I think its light as, cant wait to I finish building my rig. Im going extreme high end for once, YEAHHH!!!
    bobzilla2009 says thanks.
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Looks nice.;)

Can't wait to see it finished.
    Lionheart says thanks.
  10. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's like me, i've been floating around in mainstream parts for ages, the first build of this computer was a dual core athlon 7750 and a hd4670 for example, and i had laptops before then lol, so jumping up to the real high end is very nice indeed. especially the knowledge that i can max any game i want for at least a year (well, depending on crysis 2 ofc, but if that's mroe demanding than crysis/warhead, a lot of people will be annoyed considering dx11 is supposedly a lot more efficient, and we've only just got single gpu's to run it nicely).
    Lionheart says thanks.
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Yeah same here, Im sick of mainstream and mid range products, not saying they suck but I wanna go nuts and have a crazy arse extreme high end rig, it feels good lol. DX11 I hope will be more better than shitty DX10, wat a marketing hype BS, crysis 2 better be optimized well, its pretty obvious that the crysis wasnt optimized well because greedy arse companies like nvidia wanted more sales for there graphics cards, seems like the world now iz all about Image, reputation, money and bullshit lmao!!!
  12. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    thats a TINY card, CardZilla! :D
  13. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    crysis won't have been too well optimised since it was selling on 'future potential', the same excuse that r* used for gta4, its basically saying 'you're not meant to run it nice yet'. Crysis kind of had a reason for the slowdown, since it was using pretty much everything in the dx10 toolshed, most of which just slows down the computer too much for the benefit, whereas gta4 was just a plain lazy port. I am looking forward to dx11 though, but the big test will be dirt 2, since that seems to be hyped as the first real dx11 game coming out (or at least uses a decent amount of the new specifications). So if we run dirt 2 nicely, i reckon dx11 should be fine on our cards at least for a year or two.

Also, putting a hd4670 alongside a hd5870 is funny :)

Also... (again of course, hmm i should use another word this time), i mean additionally (that's better) i agree fully with mid range cards, they are awesome value for money, but you always have the niggling 'what if it doesn't run well?' whenever you are waiting or buying a game, an uber powered new product at least gives you some peace of mind for 6 months or until the new console generation (that's when the nice, badly coded ports will come along and require tons of power as a result).
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    DX11= Improvements visually with performance improvements (Allready proven with BattleForge)

DX10= Improvements visually? with a performance hit (proven when you enable DX10 on anything)

DX10 was a complete failure.
  15. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    a huge performance hit too, but dx10 was the start of a totally new directx structure, so no-one had really gotten round to optimising it, whereas dx9 performance was due to years and years of honing dx. So dx11 is basically going back to the 'old days' of improvements in both aspects ^^. Anyway i wouldn't say dx10 was a complete failure, since it lead ultimately to dx11. Anyways, i need dirt 2 to come out now and look amazing! It's annoying to finish crysis then want to play something else and realise everything now resembles plasticine models with light bulbs attached.
  16. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    well DX10 did update the world for the amazing new driver arcitecture in vista and 7, now we can just update to DX11 on vista to :p
  17. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Crazy as this sounds, the card is now Furmark Stable @999Mhz with 1.325V.
    All I did is change the drivers and download a new copy of furmark. :confused:
    Now its seems to artifcact due to heat rather than crashing.
  18. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    i think amd and the dev of furmark get a long now
    heck furmark is not useful for anything else than distroying graphics cards
  19. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya, it was mainly hamstrung by vista tbh, and people's lack of interest. But i never got that, after sp1 vista was great, or at least better than xp. I had to run xp for about 6 hours and i couldn't stand it. It was slow, buggy and the quad core seems to constantly trip over itself, however i think for grannies computer it does work out better, but post sp1 i think vista wins for anyone with a decent dual core and above.

Then windows 7 wins every time of course, xp,vista and w7 are like rock, paper, nuclear warhead.

Furmark is kind of useful for making your room warm on a cold morning too, and the occasional overclock testing if you don't want to keep looping 3dmark :)
  20. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Honestly Win7 is just Vista with some new features and tweaks.
    Vista is more like an ICBM.
  21. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it is indeed, but vista isn't that bad at all. It's just that 3 years ago the average joe's computer just couldn't handle it. now that the computers are better, w7 will get a much better reception. if you have a decent computer you do owe it to yourself to get vista or w7, since xp may boot faster, but it's a lot slower when using it in my experience. Of course, this is preaching to the converted, since this is a discussion on the new dx11 cards, so nearly everyone here will be interested in dx11, and if not, why waste your money on the cards? dx9 runs perfectly well on last gen :) (and probably the gen before for the most part).
  22. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Funny enough that all those people who don't know shit about computers seems to get an erection from Win7.
    Simply because its "great and runs better than XP" and because they never tried Vista.
    They just believe that Vista is shit because everyone says so.

Win7 is big sucess on M$ marketing.
  23. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i know, annoying as hell, but that's the masses for you, they'll jump through hoops if the media tells them to. Still w7 is slightly better than vista, but my main draw is that it's cheaper too, only £70 whereas vista is nearly always over £100. This is almost certainly a decision on m$'s part to make it uber mainstream though, mac and linux have gained a little bit of market share recently (although i don't know why, macs are awful [in my opinion of course, but i am a gamer and a system builder, im pretty far away from the macs target audience] and linux just makes me cry)
  24. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Do not agree, also not with the slow computer argument.
    Win 7 runs smooth on my VIA 1.5Ghz board, XP ran half-smooth and Vista ran like utter crap on it.
  25. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Macs seems to gain most of their ground from the Mobile market, Vista isn't exactly great on Notebooks and this is the area where Win7 truely shines over Vista.

This have to do with Win7 is preloaded with less junk, shut down the junk on Vista and it ran great on my old PC.
    Win7 is also by default more optimized on lower powered machines.