1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATi HDMI Audio

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by erocker, Jul 22, 2009.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't had time to mess with the settings too much yet, but I'm just looking for info from anyone experienced using this. This is for my AMD rig in my specs. I've been running the onboard Realtek audio just fine and now I would like to run it through the HDMI cable on my 4870, but it's not working for me so far. Anyone know the steps for a proper setup or where the instructions on doing it properly are located. Much thanks. :toast:

2. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    Have you gone into your playback devices and chosen the ati hdmi as your default audio device?

3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    do that and make sure you use the hdmi adapter that came with your card, there are some incompatibilities between hd 3xxx and hd4xxx hdmi adapters

and dont forget to use the hdmi audio input on your tv .. my tv has one hdmi that can accept audio and one that doesnt

4. erocker

Thanks Received:
    My Realtek HDMI output seems to work when selected as the meter is showing output but I have no sound (not connected to realtek output, I'm connected to ATi HDMI output). When I select the ATi HDMI output device and try to test it, it fails. I'll try a different HDMI output, perhaps that's the problem, I didn't realize they don't all carry sound.

5. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    There a ATI HDMI Audio Device driver v2.28 on Realtek's website btw.

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Vista/Win7 only allows audio output through one playback device(whichever is selected as the default). XP and all previous versions of Windows, output the sound through all the devices connected to the PC regardless of what was the default.

Took me forever to figure out why I couldn't get audio through my GTX285. I thought I suggested you try this before you traded your GTX260?

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yes, and even if I disable the Realtek device it doesn't work. You did suggest I try with my GTX, though the deal went down before your suggestion. Doesn't really matter to me anyways.

8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Thats cool, I just hate seeing people go through hassle just to end up with the same problem.

Anyway, have you tried different HDMI ports on your TV/Monitor?

Are you use the HDMI adaptor that came with the card(or another HD4000 series card)?

9. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Does windows complain about an unkown device in device manager? Do you know if the drivers are installed properly for the HDMI audio?

May be try the newest driver from realtek.

10. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Both the Realtek audio (latest driver) and ATi HDMI audio drivers are in the device manager. This is what I get when I try to use the ATI hdmi:
    [​IMG]

I am able to select between spdif and hdmi output in the BIOS, however either one enabled will just show up in sound devices and are able to playback. When HDMI is selected in the bios a separate Realtek HDMI device shows up in the sound manager. So do I need to find out a way to direct the realtek sound through the ati hdmi?

Here I enabled hdmi output in the bios and when I test the Realtek hdmi output there it works.. just no sound:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  11. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Maybe try a different set of catalyst drivers. 9.1 works pretty well, hopefully 9.7 will be out soon too.

12. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I guess that would have to be my next move as nothing else is working. I'm pretty sure I've tried everything.

13. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Heh, I guess I didn't try everything because now I got it to work! I uninstalled the ATi HDMI audio driver, restarted and windows installed a Digital Audio (HDMI) driver automatically. I now have sound. Thanks for the help everyone. :toast:

14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Glad you got it working, I'll have to remember this when I finally put my HD4890 machine in it's proper place under my living room TV...