• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI hotfix drivers for crossfire setups with error 43

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've just been sent a link to some hotfix drivers based on the 9.3 CCC which have solved my problem with one of my gpu's being disabled on system startup due to "an incompatible vga driver" being detected and disabled, resulting in one gpu being disabled and marked as error 43 in my device manager.

If you are getting the same problem with one gpu/card being disabled due to "an incompatible vga driver" then i strongly suggest trying these drivers out.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU-6-HotfixthatfixesErrorCode.aspx

Thought i'd share the info here for anyone else having the same problem as i havn't seen any links to these drivers on google searching.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I'm not sure about others, but I've found that my error is coming from ATI event logger. I've looked at the log file of the install a number of times and I'm getting install errors because certain ATI files are not seen by Vista with their signatures and are being rejected from finishing install upon reboot. If I disable the event logger, the drivers load fine and no problems. I can even open Catalyst, but it lags because I think it needs the logger running. The install errors seem to be surrounded around MSI (MS installer) giving signature errors. The loading of the drivers upon reboot end up in quite a long loop of starting up the graphic drivers. I have not had enough time to go through it all and see exactly why this is happening.

When I would get the second adapter working right, it would show that a monitor was connected to the second DVI, even though I've never had anything connected. I can disable the monitor, but upon reboot, I get the same code 43. I think Vista (maybe 7 too), for some weird reason I don't understand, is trying to attach the logger to one of the other supported displays. Seeing this as a monitor driver that is different then anything you can try to attach for a monitor driver, it gives code 43.

The reason I think this is because of a MS technet article that I ran across last night that suggests that code 43 is not because of the graphics card driver, but because of heterogeneous display drivers(i.e. running both XP and Vista drivers for your monitor). More so, someone correct me if I'm wrong, these two articles emphasis is about multiple monitors and not so much about multiple graphic adapters when it comes to code 43.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756338.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/multimonVista.mspx

Don't rip me a new one on this if I'm wrong on my conclusions. I've wasted 3 evenings now trying to figure out what is going on in my instance. If anyone could give some insight it would be helpful. I do this for fun, and its been an interesting learning experience so far. My only relation to programing is taking Basic Visual and a intro C++ programming classes back in high school 10 yrs ago.

Finally, there obviously seems to be something wrong with the ATI logger, in my case, but it would help if anyone else that has had problems with code 43 could tell me if the problem goes away when you disable ATI event logger in the msconfig --> services tab. Thanks

Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
As part of the debugging i've been through with ati over the past 4 months the event logger being disabled does prevent the error 43 from occuring, but only because there is a problem with the driver, but without the event logger noticing the issue and flagging it to be disabled i experienced a lot of instability with the card, multi-monitor setups and moving videos from one monitor to the other were a big no-no, as were most games.

Disabling the logger only seems to prevent the gpu being disabled due to a driver error, it doesn't fix the actual problem of the error in the driver.

Your theory of something wrong with driver signature errors is interesting, sadly i'm not too familiar with driver coding and setup within windows, i'm only an app programmer and dont delve deeper than api calls.

Did the hotfix drivers still give an error for you? if so uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable (if there are 2 versions, uninstall both, they are listed in programs and features in control panel) as that's not removed by uninstalling ati drivers but is a key part of running them and included in every driver package.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
I've run just about every circle there is that anyone has come up with for the code 43 error. I did have the 9.3s running when I first setup Vista, but I only installed the driver and was using RivaTuner to control clock and fan speed. I didn't have any problems and was actually able to play COD WaW at 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF with performance Quality AA at a pretty constant 60fps with vsync on without any problem. I then decided to install Catalyst to see if Performance 8xAA could pickup like it did in XP. That's when things hit the shitter. After just installing Cat with the drivers already loaded, I could only get 8.10 to work. Anything after ended in code 43.

There is a boot log that shows up after you install a new driver if you go into problems/solutions in Vista and look at the file before sending it off. Its a text inf fine. I had msi install errors on ATI logger, signature rejections errors, running loop after loop of installing all and any ATI drivers. At the very end, it was having problems starting one of the drivers for the 4 monitor support though I've never had more than one on any pc in my life. I don't have any extended display software or configuration setup on Vista. Even during the reboot install, you could see it loading the ms default VGA driver in the middle of the ATI ones and it was applying it to one of the gpus, it gave the right registry address, but was loading the MS driver for some odd reason. The inf was very, very long and I found it too late to get a real good look at it from start to finish.

Personally, I think the problem is something wrong on Vista's end with msi. Though, after looking at the ATI setup.infs that came with 9.4 as to why some where saying they can't get the driver to install on 7 and see that even though ATI created 2 setup.infs, they gave both of them Vista's NT version number. I mean, they even had the right cards supported for 7 in the inf, but since they game it the wrong NT number, the system didn't apply it since it wasn't compatible. Also, the Vista setup.inf has both the 7 and Vista NT number right next to each other in the command lines. Sometimes I wonder if ATI just releases monthly updates so it doesn't look like they release public betas like nVidia does.

BTW, I havn't be able to try it even though I've downloaded it. Also, it shouldn't matter how many times you install the C++ program since it will just overwright itself and you have to have 2 in x64, one for x64 and one for x86.

Like I said before, I did some very, very beginners stuff back about 10 yrs ago in high school. While I may not be able to program or know exactly what something is doing, it doesn't take me long to figure out what a program is trying to do as long as I can see a txt file and have some google help.

ramondo

I have two screens connected to my Radeon 4890. The primary display works fine but the secondary will not work when connected to the DVI port. It doesn't show up under Device Manager. However, if I connect the secondary display by VGA cable, then I get both screens showing up under DeviceManager, Catalayst, and am able to extend the screen.

Any suggestions? I have tried re-install Vista 64 but to no avail.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Are you using a VGA cable for both monitors when it does work?

Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have two screens connected to my Radeon 4890. The primary display works fine but the secondary will not work when connected to the DVI port. It doesn't show up under Device Manager. However, if I connect the secondary display by VGA cable, then I get both screens showing up under DeviceManager, Catalayst, and am able to extend the screen.

Any suggestions? I have tried re-install Vista 64 but to no avail.

Have you tried it with a different dvi cable which you know works, it's odd that it would only work with vga (i assume you're using the vga adapter on the same dvi port?)

Sorry if this sounds stupid and you've already checked but you've put the input of your second monitor to dvi too right?

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
A little bump for this.

I was messing around with my oc on my cpu and blue screened vista a couple times. When I did get back in, the code 43 showed up. Didn't matter what I did I couldn't get rid of it with any drivers post 8.10. So I downloaded the hotfix and started with 8.10 and installed the hotfix over top and rebooted into Vista without problems.