1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Mobility Redeon HD 5850. Please Help

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Kamran, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Kamran New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Every one, I just upgraded the RAM of my Alienware M15X Laptop from 4 GB to 8 GB. Rating of the graphic card in Windows Experience Index came down from 7.0 to 6.0 after the upgrade.
    Please Help me how to fix it and I can not find any driver for my ATI Mobility Redeon HD 5850 card on AMD Website and When I download 5800 series driver it say no such graphic card is found in your system but when I go to device manager and update the driver it shows that I have ATI Mobility Redeon HD 5850 graphic card installed. Please help I am very sad How to bring back the score of my graphic card to 7.0

I installed the old ram again but the score remains 6.0 on Windows Experience Index.

2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The index score is bogus man. However when was the last time you did a clean install of Windows?

3. Kamran New Member

Thanks Received:
    I never did clean installed. It is factory installed Windows 7 Professional X64. I never formatted it since I bought it.
    Man help me. How to tell what is the true rating of my Graphic card then?

4. Kamran New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is the specification of My graphic Card after checking it on GPUZ. Did I messed up some thing in my graphic card after RAM upgrade or is it normal for all Mobility HD 5850 cards.
    [​IMG]

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you played a game since the upgrade? If it games fine then I wouldn't worry man. Windows index isn't really a good judgement of performance.

How old is the computer? My rule of thumb is to reinstall the OS once a year just to get rid of any trash or corruption that may occur overtime. Its not really necessary per say. Its just something that solves issues like the one you are having.

If the RAM is shared and you put slower RAM in then yeah. It could have effected GPU performance. However I don't "think" a 5850 Mobility shares RAM. Could be wrong. HOWEVER I don't think you damaged anything. Did you run a re-assessment after you put the old RAM back in?

6. Kamran New Member

Thanks Received:
    Redeon HD 5850 Windows Index went down after Upgrade

I bought this computer like 3 weeks ago on ebay. It has I 7 X 940 Extreme Processor. So I just bought because it had High score in Windows Experience Index but I wonder why the score will come down after I installed better RAM than before it had. I checked it on CRUCIAL RAM website and crucial recommend that RAM for my laptop. If I know this is gonna happen. I was not going to update it:cry:

7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Calm down, Its ok man. as MM said, WEI is crap and should not be trusted. If you feel this is an error then download 3dmark11 and run a test with new ram, THEN put old ram in and rerun the test to see which score is better.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry man. Like I said windows index is wierd. There is a whole thread on TPU started a few days ago of people messing with it to get all kinds of weird ratings. If you bought the computer off of ebay I suggest a clean install anyway. No telling what they pre-installed when they shipped it to you.

9. Kamran New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys but I also have hard time to find the driver for my graphic card on AMD website the only driver they recommend for my computer is for 5800 series and When I want to install it that gives me blue screen of death and windows says that driver is not compatible for my graphic card.

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm telling you man I would format. Chances are you are downloading a non-mobility driver.

11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried finding the driver on the Dell/Alienware site using your machine service tag?

12. animal007uk

Thanks Received:

First of all and like others have said, The Windows index score i bogus and never works right.

Now did you run the WEI test again after you added more ram? Did you also check to make sure the ram is still running at the same speed as before?

As for the ati driver, Did you try this tool http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

13. Kamran New Member

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded its driver from Dell website too but it does work with my computer but its kinda of old version. I did download ATI software what tells you which driver is compatible with your graphic card and when that software compatibility software download compatible driver for the graphic card, it does not work with my computer.
    I was wondering if I can flash graphic card will that fix rating of my computer's graphic card. But I don't know how to flash the BIOS of my computer's graphic card. The only easy Graphic card Bios software on dell website is very easy to use but It does not fix the rating in windows index.
    Can you guys please check that picture what uploaded from gpu z and tell me is that the normal specification of my graphic card.
    And please also let me know how to enable crossfire in my graphic card. In catalyst center I don't see the option of enabling crossfire.

14. Kamran New Member

Thanks Received:
    One more issue. When I want to factory reset my computer from Dell Hidden partition. It does go to the restoration section but when I select factory reset. It say incorrect parameter.

15. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Kamran, why are you so obsessed with WEI score? its been stated SEVERAL times that its not a good indicator of anything. do what the others have suggested and reformat.

16. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    slower ram maby ?
    WEI = completely and utterly meaningless its not even 50% accurate most of the time

17. Kamran New Member

Thanks Received:
    But if I use other format option then I wound lose those good softwares what came with my computer, like nero burner. And I do have alienrespon DVD with me but that only include drivers and does not carry softwares.

18. Kamran New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys thanks alot for the suggestions over here. Finally My graphic card score came back to normal 7.0.
    I don't know what has happen but it came back to normal again. I am soo happy. Maybe I installed the driver again from the dvd what came with my laptop. I am not sure but maybe that was the problem of old driver. I almost hated my laptop but now I love it again.
    Here is the specs of my laptop
    Cpu I7 940X
    Samsung 250 SSD
    8 GB DDR 3 Crucial RAM 10600 MGZ
    Ati Mobility Radeon 5850

Now my base score is Samsung SSD Which has 6.8 Rating in WEI
    I am going to Upgrade My SSD too 500 gb but I don't know which one to get that can give me higher rating than 6.8.

19. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Stop obsessing over Windows Experience Index, it isnt an accurate measure of performance. It means absolutely nothing in the real world.

Law-II and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    What is the Exact Make Model of Your Laptop?

What are the Specifications of that Laptop which means, Motherboard/Chipset/Audio Chip/Bios/Ram/HD/Video Card

What Power Adapter are You Using

What Exact Ram did you put in the Machine?

Have You ever Formatted or Installed Drivers or an Operating system such as Windows on a Computer Before?

Once You Provide answers to those questions I will be able to help you much better than just saying your "card isnt working right or WEI isnt right"

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012