1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Preparing 'Super RV770' to Challenge GeForce GTX 200 Series

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 1, 2008.

1. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean the heat cause by a particular component is not necessarily directly responsible for the overall heat? Temperature is a measurement of heat technically speaking, so I'm a little unclear as to what exactly you mean also. Maybe I'm late in the convo though.

2. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only thing is that the fan speed directly effects how much heat the heatsinks can dissipate. If you raise the speed of the fans then you increase the airflow over the heatsink & allow for more dissipation. The coolers on the cards are fine but the fan speeds are stuck at 18%. Its just too dumb for them to have done that. The fans atleast should run at 35% & kick up to 50-60% during full GPU load.

4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems kind of semantic. I think of heat varying degrees of kinetic energy in molecules (measurement being temperature) and haven't heard it referred to explicitly as the transfer of thermal energy. I don't go to class all the time though. :laugh:

At any rate, what is important here, the amount of "heat" on a gpu or it's temperature. What will start to cause problems?

5. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is semantic & I was a physics teacher :roll:

In any case, heat destroys...heat is the root of all evil :p (when it comes to silicon) Needless to say, the only thing that can give us an idea of how much heat a GPU is producing is its temps. We try to lower the temps in any way to lengthen the lives of our GPUs. Its as simple as that & its written in stone. Lower temps = happier hardware :D

6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    cooling performance is passive overclocking :toast:

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the ATI cards only run hot because the fans dont crank up. its simple to fix it in a bios update, or even with software.

The heat output vs temperature argument does get funny, when people cnat keep up.

GPU + fan @ 15% = silent, but 100C
    GPU + fan @ 35% = quiet, but 60C

its like how people called the 8800GT a hot card when it wasnt, the stock cooler was merely crap.