1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI R600 Ready to Ship

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD’s sales chief, Henri Richard, has announced that ATI’s flagship DirectX 10 graphics card could be ready to ship today, and has given an interesting new reason for its long delay. Here’s what he had to say:
    So apparently there weren’t any technical problems, ATI just wanted to release the entire range at once – interesting when you consider this has let NVIDIA get a lengthy head start with its 8800 cards. Sounds like a poor excuse to me.

Source: HardwareZone
  2. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    If they have all the drivers ready at the time these cards are on the shelf, then I guess it is a good idea...]
    Since the 8800s still have driver issues to this day...
  3. NympH New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then ship the damn card aldready!
  4. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good to me. I want a R600 card of some flavor. Yea, so nVidia was first to market with the DX10 cards. They werent problem free. Some might think they were rushed out the door just to have bragging rights and get a jump on the sales. Well that might be OK as far as nVidias coin counters are concerned, but the coustomes deserve better imo. Waiting on the ATi cards has been a bummer, but the wait might end up being well worth it with polished products and a wide selection.

I think nVidia has had a big chip on their shoulder ever since they got their butts whooped by the 9700. Their FX line, WDF? The G80 line not having working drivers for quite awhile, again, WDF? We all benifit from proper R&D, well maybe not the coin counters. :D
  5. jydie New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is a very poor excuse. The way I see it, why delay? Especially on the low-end spectrum?? If ATI can release some low-end DirectX10 cards, then they should enjoy a healthy income until Nvidia can get theirs on the market. Of course, the same is true for Nvidia beating ATI to the low-end punch. With the Windows Vista operating system, there is a lot of demand for inexpensive directX10 video cards.
  6. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, it's all bullshit again. They were delayed due to technical reasons, and now they're making up crap excuses for the delays.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I love it how some of you bash companies for not putting out incomplete products. I hope all of your 8800's fail with Directx10.:laugh:
  8. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't have an 8800 mate. And don't you think the R600 gen ATI card are a "little" late???
  9. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, right on time. Because they are complete with working drivers ETC!!:toast:
  10. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, time will tell. Hopefully the additional time they took has paid off with non-buggy or less buggy drivers.
  11. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    I guess it is a little early since the DX10 game are not even out yet:respect:
  12. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's exactly correct!! And the product isn't even out yet.
  13. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    Not at all...............where is the software/games to support DX10???? Exactly. To me its like releasing a PS3 6 months before any games are out for it. So you would be stuck with new hardware playing old software. That sucks. It would be different if there were 10 games on the shelves right now with DX10 support. Besides what is the actual percentage of TPU users using Vista vs. XP right now????
  14. m3lisk

m3lisk New Member

Thanks Received:
    w00t! I can't wait. I'm getting a job @ Shaw's and my parents are going to pay for my driver's ed and insurance so I plan on using my cash to crossfire the R600 dx10 cards! IM SO EXCITED!!!
  15. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    w00t, indeed! Though, I have a job and I wouldn't be able to afford one of these, anyway. :p
  16. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
  17. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    i like how the card looks but im happy with my 8800
  18. petepete New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend works for AMD/ATI and he said that the delay was because of the GDDR4 hardware problem, the rumours were absolutely true. He also said the R600 is just going to compete against the 8800, it will beat it, but it wont blow it out of the water. He also told me to wait a bit because they are already creating the 8900 and ati is going to release an even higher clocked card with dual GPU's. you heared it here first.

P.S - I don't know if you guys know already but R600 Is the monster 12 incher. It is not 9.5 inches as people have stated. He also said it was originally that small, but Windows Vista added many cool functions and he only told me that "It will have many cool features". Shortly after the monster card release will be the smaller 9.5 inch cards with equal power but less features for Vista. This is 100% true so I know i will wait for the 2 GPU's.

Don't get the first DX10 ATI Flagship card! You will miss out as the X1800 People did, mark my words!!

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  19. hv43082

Thanks Received:

How long is this "bit" supposed to be?
  20. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    nah don't get the second flagship card either man wiat for the third one, no hang on don't get that one either because the fourth one will come out... no wait don't get...... aarrrgh you get the picture..

Buy the best card you can afford and stop waiting all the time.. get a r600 if they come out next month, if they don't then screw ati with a ten foot pole I WILL buy Nvidea
  21. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Go ahead:p
    But it looks like you couldn't spell nVidia correctly.:shadedshu
  22. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    heeheeee.. thats how much I know about nvidia...

When you type at a whopping 15 words a minute you are bound to make some spelling mistakes... :p
  23. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    All of you complainers and whiners and bitchers need to stop. Its ridiculous to ridicule a company because they wanted to put out a quality product with no problems or a hell of a lot of less problems than Nvidia encountered. You condemn them for this, I applaud them. It takes time to polish a product, and I think ATI did a respectable thing. Who cares the reasons for the delay, the finished product should be exemplary of the wait. Now, if ATI comes to the game late with problems, then bitch away. However, until then, dont knock a company for wanting to make a quality product. IF there was a GDDR4 problem, and ATI released it anyways, and it still messed up or didnt work, you all would be complaining and whining about it. "Why didnt they wait to release this until the problem was fixed!?" , " Why are they releasing a product with a problem in it, damn ATI!". Stuff like that. Same as the Windows Vista issue. I understand the need for ATI to show their hand, especially to the fanboys (and no, Im not criticizing all the TPU members here, it just irates me when you bitch and whine about a late product, because a company wants to make it good and working with working drivers.) However, until more than one or two games are out to support it, as well as software and such, its just a fancy and shiny new board without the software to take advantage of the bonuses and revisions that made it worth purchasing. I apologize if I offended anyone with this post, but its something I felt needed to be said. Feel free to flame away.

PS. Im in no way knocking Nvidia from being to the game first, I think their 8800 series is a nice card and awesome as hell. However, without proper driver support, vista support and game support, it was kind of pointless. It was just a pissing contest in my eyes. I may be an ATI fan, but I give respect and love to companies who make kick ass products. Nvidia, does make some kick ass products.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2007