1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon 9550 Oversized Background Image Resolution

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by SimTramp, Jul 17, 2010.

1. SimTramp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently installed an ATI Radeon 9550 graphics card in an old Dell Dimension 4400. It worked fine but the PC had been in storage for a few years so I installed a bunch of new Microsoft updates and now the desktop background is way oversized. When running a 1680 X 1050 desktop resolution the desktop background has hidden about 30% of a 1680 X 1050 picture (the bottom and the right side) no matter if you stretch, tile or center the picture. I opened a paint program and sized a blank template to 2098 X 1315 and placed the 1680 X 1050 picture against the top-left sides to get a picture centered properly in the desktop background. It’s certainly something I could live with but it’s not right and is likely an indication of other underlying problems. Any Ideas??
  2. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
    SimTramp says thanks.
  3. SimTramp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks segalaw, I downloaded the driver and installed, after installation reboot I was prompted to install microsoft .net framework 2.0 as well. After both installations the desktop background still remains in the oversized resolution........ dern it!!
  4. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    I believe it's a windows issue..Did u try changing the wallpaper and playing around in the options?
  5. SimTramp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've screwed around with the display settings with no results, now I get this message when I try to access the Catalyst Control Center
    ---------------------------
    Could not load file or assembly 'CLI.Implementation, Version=2.0.3693.42437, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    ---------------------------
  6. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    I meant u 'screw around' with the windows background options!! Do not center the image, choose 'fit' or 'fill'
    What windows r u running? What's the resolution of the wallpaper pic and the resolution of ur desktop?
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  7. Timonthy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reset the monitor resolution and see what happens?
    If everything else fails you could always do a repair installation of windows.
    SimTramp says thanks.
  8. SimTramp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm running XP Pro. Originally my desktop background was 1680 X 1050 and the resolution under the Properties-Settings was 1680 X 1050 but the desktop background was stretched off the screen to the right and bottom. I opened a new picture document and moved the resolution around to find just how stretched the desktop background was. I came to the resolution of 2098 X 1315 and placed the 1680 X 1050 in the upper left corner to get it to center properly as my background. Where can you choose fit or fill?

Nice set up!!!
    Regards:::
  9. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    Can u post a screenshot?
  10. SimTramp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here you go
    [​IMG]
    What it looks like without adjusting the image size (this is the standard 1680 X 1050 image)

[​IMG]
    The enlarged image to correct it

[​IMG]
    and what it looks like after the large image in used as the desktop background.

Are you in Iraq because you're in the military?

Regards::::
  11. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    Right click on ur desktop->Properties->Desktop Background or something (It's a long time since I ran XP)->U should now see options like: center, fit or pile, or something like that, I believe the current one is 'pile', while it must be 'fit', so change it.

I'm in Iraq coz I'm Iraqi! :)
  12. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    I have had the same problem with my laptop. I changed the resolution to 1920 in order to see all the screen. Try out the 1024 and all types till you find the exact one
    SimTramp says thanks.
  13. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    If the above didn't work, uninstall ATI driver, reboot in safe mode and use driver sweeper to remove any remnant of the driver and then reboot into normal mode and re-install it.
    If everything fails, a clean new windows installation might be the only way!
    SimTramp says thanks.
  14. SimTramp New Member

Thanks Received:
    That would be a very good reason!

The current XP options are (Center, Stretch & Tile) none of which have any proper resizing affect….. Changing resolution settings also have no results…. I will do the uninstall, sweep and reinstall as soon as I catch up and can afford to have my system down….. Thanks much!!!!!
  15. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
    have you update your monitor driver so windows know what setting to use