1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon X850 Pro Softmod

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by rbinc, Sep 28, 2005.

1. rbinc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Firstly, here's my system specs:

Intel D865GBFL Board
    P4HT 3.0GHz 512KB L2 Northwood
    Kingston ValueRAM 2x512MB Single Channel DDR400
    ATI Radeon X850 Pro (R481) (500/500MHz) AGP 8X VIVO (I think) w/ Catalyst 5.8
    Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS OEM
    Windows XP Pro SP2

I want to flash the BIOS to the XT or the XT PE to unlock the 4 pipes. I used ATITool and I get artifacts at 520/540 (X850 XT stock) with my stock fan/heatsink. I'm not sure how to remove the artifacts. I ran the fan at 100% but no luck. Do I have to buy a seperate cooling solutions to remove artifacts? Or is it that the card can't go any higher no matter what?

I still want to try and do the softmod to the XT. But I can't figure out which BIOS is a PCI-E and which is an AGP, and which one's are R420, R480, or R481. Can someone suggest a BIOS I can use. And I also want to know how to revert to my original BIOS if I do a bad flash.

The best score I got in 3DMark05 with stock was 4888. That seems way too low considering I had a softmodded Sapphire Radeon 9550 Pro (9600 Pro) that had ~1500.
  2. rbinc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I went ahead with the softmodding anyways. My clocks are defaulted to 540/590 every restart, but unfortunately I have to use ATITool to change them to 500/500 since the stock fan/heatsink can't handle it. But I do have 16 pipelines now. My new 3DMark05 score with 500/500 is 5362, a hefty boost. Now I just have to find a way to default the GPU clocks to 500. Using ATITool every restart is very annoying. Any help would be appreciated still.

BTW, I'm looking for a good fan/heatsink for my card, now that I have OC'd it well beyond its limits (515 was the highest Core ATITool got). If it matters, I live in Toronto, Canada. Here's a link to the exact card I bought.
  3. Ryosuke New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the same card as yours and did the same softmod as you, if u dont wanna use atitool to put ur default clock (500/500), juste flash your card with the default bios(x850 pro). ;)
    If u want to overclock it to xt pe (540/590) u should use the 850pro bios, because i cant overclock my mem with xt bios even with ati silencer 5 (atifact at 520), but with "pro" bios i dont have problem to get to xt clock. hope u understand what im explaining. ;)
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  4. rbinc New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK then I'll revert to my original BIOS with ATIFlash so that I still get 16 pipes. I might as well get a new fan anyways because this fan is very annoying. Even at the slightest overclock the fan goes to 100% and it really is louder than my processor and power fan combined.
  5. SeLrAhC New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeap... that is a very good solution from ryoskue

neway... if silencer can't perform... u might wanna opt for zalman
  6. rbinc New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. SeLrAhC New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm.. it seems like a pretty decent product to me... the design is just like the zalman's but with better build and a plastic heat 'pipe'

d thing is... how high is cfm of dis cooller?... 2500 for a 12 is ok.. but it could b around 80+ cfm

i think it should b fine... but d price? y dun you consider/compare pricing for silencer or zalman that have been proven to b quite good..