1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI says "Known issue" with newer drivers causing black screens in fullscreen mode.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by D007, Jul 10, 2011.

1. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    If your having this problem don't freak out and sledge hammer your pc.."Like I almost did" >.>....
    Replace the card, it's bad..
    I'm using a 5850 reference model from visiontek.

I had the issue whenever I started anything full screen, including but not limited to games, firefox and videos.
    What does help it if you don't want to revert to old drivers, is a simple reinstall of the driver. I reinstalled dx and the driver and haven't had the problem for a week or so now.
    I did this before but the problem came back. I'm just waiting for it to rear it's ugly head again and I'll reinstall the drivers again.

From ATI:
    Thank you for your request. Based on the information provided, we understand that you occasionally have noticed no display after you start up my system and go to start Firefox or Steam on a system installed with a VisionTek Radeon HD 5850 PCI-E 1GB.

If we have misinterpreted any critical information about your issue, please inform us since our recommendations may be different based on your specific situation.

Currently, we have already registered the issue that you have reported, which relates to a possible VBIOS or driver incompatibility with Catalyst 11.6, Windows Timeout Detection and Recovery or a required motherboard chipset driver update. Please revert to your previous Catalyst 11.x or similar until we can address the issue. In the interim, we have forwarded your observations to AMD Technical Support Engineering for further review.

In order to confirm your issue, contact the AMD Manufacturer, which is VisionTek for any available VBIOS or driver fixes or updates. NOTE: AMD Manufacturers include as Acer, Apple, ASUS, DELL, Diamond Multimedia, Gigabyte, HIS Digital, HP, Lenovo, PowerColor, Sapphire Technology, SONY, VisionTek, XFX.

For documented Windows Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) issues, we recommend that you refer to the article provided:

Timeout Detection and Recovery of GPUs through WDDM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx

The operating system may crash when you run a D3D application full-screen in an immediate mode on Windows 7 or on Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2400157

If you follow the recommendations provided, we believe that you will be able to address and eventually resolve your issue. Please contact us further if your issue is not resolved and we will address and review your issue.

Please contact us if you require additional information. If we do not receive a reply from you within 10 days, the Service Request will be closed, and you will need to open a new Service Request if your issue is not yet resolved.

Thank you for choosing AMD!

NONE OF THIS HELPED SO DON'T BOTHER. :roll:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
    cadaveca says thanks.
  2. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    It takes my card about half a second to start rendering any hardware acclerated material to the screen. So hulu, crackle, youtube and many other sites its meh. DVD's who cares if I miss half a second or so of the anti-piracy BS that only people who have legit DVD's have to see.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  3. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I wish that were only the problem. I have not been able to resolve this issue even using their hotfix method. It made no difference what so ever.
    My computer Black screens every single day now just about and ATI says it's their fault and they can't fix it..

I have uninstalled and reinstalled graphics drivers and direct x.
    I have used driver sweeper, like I have many times in the past..
    I have done all updates and shut down ALL overcloking.
    I have reformatted and got an entirely new PC.
    Nothing helps...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They make it sound like it's a VisionTek bios issue. Have you contacted VisionTek to see if they have any fix?

cadaveca says thanks.
  5. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I have, I'll get back with the response when they respond.

cadaveca and erocker say thanks.
  6. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Visiontek got back to me and is saying the card must be defective.
    They asked me for the RMA info. Hope they still take it back. I haven't had this thing very long.
    Let ya know ^^..

cadaveca says thanks.
  7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    D007, I have the same visiontek card as you and have none of the problems you have described. Im guessing you have a defective card.

D007 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I am RMAing the card. they even cross ship. Now that's a big plus..
    I tried the gigabyte forums to see if anyone there had answers but all they did was ask me questions and offered no answers at all...lol. Yea..
    Won't be going there for support again.. XD
    but visiontek is taking it back and they didn't give me any heartache about it. "yet"...lol..
    If they do I'll repost but as of now all is well, new card otw from visiontek.

9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    and this is why i tell people to never buy non reference video cards... if you had reference, you could just slap a new BIOS on outright in these situations (unless the card is outright faulty, as yours may well be)

10. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    My card is reference.. :p...
    They say it's faulty though.
    I'd flash the bios but I don't want to void my warranty at this point.
    I have a new card being cross shipped right now. :)

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    flashing the BIOS doesnt break warranty, so long as you stick with the same brand.

12. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    Who's ATI? :D