1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI sets launch window for R5xx GPUs

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well after much delay, the new ATI GPU is finally about to be released. The launch date for the 3 new GPUs (R520, RV530, RC515) is set for late September, with immidiate availabilty following the launch. It is yet to be seen if ATI can produce fast enough GPUs to be able to beat the 7800GTX, as the R520 only has 16 pipelines, and the 7800GTX has 24 pipelines.

All the details at VR-Zone and for all the people now thinking: "What? R520 with a mere 16 pipelines?" check out this article at The Inquirer

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  2. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    16pipes???....that blows, at first they were saying 32, then it droped to 24, and now its 16... :mad:

-Dan

3. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    The technical data is all rumors. Which im getting very, very sick of.

4. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    Why rumors? I would think that a mere month before launch...things should be settled...packages and booklets printed, Graphic cards made (for immidiate launch)...Websites slowly but surely updated.. *G* things have to start to drop into place slowly...

about the R520 havin' 16 pipelines...that has pretty much been settled I think. From what I gather, the only thing not set in stone is the actual speed the chip is to be run at.

But hey is this "rumor mill" not the kind of thing that always preludes a release? same thing happend with the 7800 GTX...and especially the GT...

cheers and good night :)
    Vahid

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  5. Unregistered Guest

All this tells me is that *a* version of the R520 will have 16 pipes; not neccissarily the top-of-the-line model. Not to mention it's probably BS anyways. l'inq is usually a crapshoot.

6. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    *G* I could give ya a few different websites which claim the same *G*

but hey, we will know for sure, once the card is released...

7. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure they would've checked the performance vs. the 7800GTX. Maybe they found that the 16pipe version is already faster than the 7800GTX?? ;) And I believe they planned to bring out the 32pipe model if nVidia launches a better product? Could be interesting to see what either of the companies do to keep top spot!

8. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    well if nVidia brings out something faster, which they certainly will if need be. Then they force ATI to do something about it...if it is just a refresh or a GPU with more pipes. Maybe 20 or 24 pipes will be enough...only time will tell.

cheers
    Vahid

9. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Seems I wasn't wrong almost three months ago:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=3519&page=2&pp=10

I heard Ati is really pushing the R5X0 cores to the limit, already reaching 700 Mhz! :eek: Maybe a 16 pipeline version of the R5X0 is indeed faster than the 7800GTX, but that remains to be seen...
    Anyway, nVidia has been preparing the 7800 Ultra for more than two months now, and it'll be out about the same time the R5X0 series arrive, so, IMHO it'll be interesting to see what happens in the GPU wars in the following months :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Unregistered Guest

R580, to be released some time after R520, could very well be the answer to a 7800 Ultra; it could be a 20, 24, or 32 pipe card (either of them, for that matter).
    Wonder if R520 will actually be a 20 or 24pipe card with a bunch of pipes masked or what.
    only time will tell.

11. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    R580 is set for 2006. ATI wont even match the performance of the original R500 until the R600.