1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ati Stream On HD 6950?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by erasmo84, May 30, 2011.

1. erasmo84

erasmo84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi to everyone here. my question is?

Why im not able to Use Ati stream acceleration on HD 6950? I come from Nvidia and I've been using Cuda for a while. But Now I'm trying to use my 6950 on Xilisoft and that software say Ati GPU acceleration UNSUPPORTED? Does AMD cards use Stream Acceleration?

2. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK, Stream is dead. AMD has become a smart company and they now rely on OpenCL and DirectCompute instead of on something that is only working on AMD cards (nvidia should do the same).

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You act like it was AMD's choice...:laugh:

No one used Streams, people use CUDA, which is why CUDA is still alive and Streams isn't.

And can you even name a OpenCL accelerated app? I think there are only like 1 or 2 real world OpenCL apps while there are a bunch of CUDA apps. I think nVidia should stick with what works and what is actually making money, don't you?

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Their choice to stop throwing money in a money pit. Hence a, quote, "smart move".

True. No one used Stream so Stream is dead.

I cannot tell you what "the industry" uses, though I guess that when companies use openGL for CAD and such, they won't use DirectX for GPGPU purposes but openCL else it's simply an offensive on logic (DirectCompute is part of DirectX, together with DirectSound and Direc3D). So as far as I can guestimate based on the above, it's either CUDA or openCL for companies. If those enterprises are smart they don't allow themselves to get locked-in, were they are able to and make themselves independent of either hardware manufacturer.
    But maybe you are right about companies using CUDA for their GPGPU processes, which would mean that nVidia did the winning bet when deciding to risk to lose a lot of R&D money (making use of the fact that in business the same sheeple as in consumerland exist).

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    i dont expect open cl to be a valid consumer useable for another couple years. however there is alot being done by larger companies with it.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    yeah but CUDA is not used much by consumers either, is it?

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. erasmo84

erasmo84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nobody answer my question. im not asking if it is dead or not, Xilisoft converter use Cuda or Stream to convert video formats faster , when i used Nvidia the software detected Cuda and work fine, now when I installed my new HD it doesn't detect Stream. Stream is still available... but im going to respond myself. I think that version of Xilisoft doesnt support the New HD card. thank for ur comments

8. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    good for video work

9. erasmo84

erasmo84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have any proof of that? are u an video editor? You sound like a Gamer lol

10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that is exactly it, it seems the software you are using simply doesn't support Streams, their sight says it supposts AMD APP, and lists the HD6950 as being supported. So you might have to download some special AMD APP driver to get it working on your card.

11. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    to be honest most apps ive seen accellerate the process with GPUs are only slightly faster then a good cpu, on the consumer lvl so right now cuda still sucks stream is dead and open cl no where to be found.

but more on topic i do believe the stream sdk can still be downloaded not sure if it supports the new gpus or not though as i dont use it.

12. erasmo84

erasmo84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thank u, thats the answer i was waiting for, Now I know User with a lot of "Stars" sometimes doesnt know nothing about what they talk about. Confusing more than helping

13. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    NP. As I added to the post it does seem to support AMD APP, which is actually AMD's OpenCL implementation it seems, at least Version 6 says that is what it supports, I'm not sure what version you are running. If you are running an older version of Xilisoft it might still be looking for a Streams driver that AMD has removed from the latest driver packages(though it might still be downloadable as a stand alone download).

I have to say, this is the first comercially available piece of software that I've seen that actually seems to use OpenCL. What do you know, there is one...:rolleyes:

erasmo84 says thanks.
  14. erasmo84

erasmo84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    to be honest with u, try Xilisoft video converter, that software is going to show you what format are supported with Cuda, you have to chosse one of them and the differense is extremely fast, Im talking about one video without Cuda take 15 minutes to compress and with Cuda enable 3 minutes. Do u think thats slightly? lol

15. erasmo84

erasmo84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have 6.5.2, yes i think have to look for those drivers, do you know where i can get it?

16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Things like Adobe premiere or elements do not use stream for god awful things like HD video transcoding or editing. They do use Cuda but not fully. So meow.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  17. erasmo84

erasmo84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I havent try Adobe but for what i do Xilisoft is a mouster. this video is by me 4gb move the video time a little bit until ui start the compresshttp://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150580951965457&oid=134479446623328&comments

Same Video compress without Cuda about 15 or 20 minutes

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  18. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    erasmo84 says thanks.
  19. erasmo84

erasmo84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes is include it with catalyst and doest work, I was looking for APP and nothing. well ill keep trying thank u for your help

20. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    well i dont use xilisoft all video editing etc i do is in Adobe Premiere Pro, i dont convert because i export exactly what i want to begin. and maybe cuda has improved but in every app i have that has cuda support it does abosolutely jack shit in terms of improving over my Phenom II, when using adobe or autodesk products.

21. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Forgot about that, lol. :D

I did not think about video editing for a moment. Mistakes happen, I am but a human. :)

Well, the stars only represent post count. Nothing more.

Crunching for Team TPU