1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ati X800pro Bios Flash to XT

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by UTMBGUY, Apr 7, 2005.

1. UTMBGUY New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello all
    ive read some posts, that say that it is possible to flash a non vivo ati x800pro if the card has certain items
    1. 1.6ns samsung ram
    2. rage theater chip
    3. the smaller connector next to the molex?

My card has these but the box doesnt call it a vivo should i try and Flash it?
    any help would be greatly appreciated

2. BlackPearl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Rage Theater chip and yellow VIVO connector = VIVO, so it sounds like you're good for bios flash to unlock remaining pipelines. When and where did you get this card?

3. UTMBGUY New Member

Thanks Received:
    i got the card about 4 months ago at a compUsa. If all goes well what kinda results should i expect to get. 3dmark 2001, 3dmark2003, 2005? I get roughly 26K in 2001 allready.

4. BlackPearl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought you probably got your card some time ago because ATI VIVO's haven't been seen on the shelves for a while, at least here (Houston). Your system looks quite a bit better than mine, but here are the changes I observed when flashing my Sapphire to 16p 500/500 (before/after):
    3D01 20240/20768
    3D03 9831/11270
    3D05 4566/5465

After flashing, I either ran 16p at stock speeds or 500/500 because my card did not like PE speeds. Good luck with your modification.

5. UTMBGUY New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks pearl,
    I did the flash but however im at 520/560 at the momment and no crashes yet. my ati tool says that i still have 12 pipes what could be the problem? did the flash not work? i used flash floppy to make a boot disk and saved the original .bin file, and uploaded the xt.bin i guess my card doesnt like the flash.

6. UTMBGUY New Member

Thanks Received:
    am i now to perform the hard mod?

7. BlackPearl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you reinstall drivers after the flash? I'm not sure if that matters, but worth a try. BTW, I used the 16p proVIVO bios flashed according to instructions on this site. As for the hard mod, I'm not sure what measures ATI might be using to prevent unlocking with bios flash, but I haven't seen much success reported lately from that method. If you're bold, it could be an option.

8. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried to flash a x800 pro pcie to xt non vivo and ended up with se, lol dont know what happened there but just make sure you ave your orig vga bios. very important!!

Now the card is on its orig bios and can overclock largely until the drivers hemselves fail.?
    Its currently at 540 / 520 core/mem, Scoring in 3dmark05 5700, on only 12pipes. grr, shame its my younger brothers machine and not mine. :(

9. UTMBGUY New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok this is what ive done, and i may have made a mistake i flashed my card with ati retail x800xt bios only.
    I have read in another forum where it is necessary to flash first with gigabytes x800xt bios to enable the 4 pipes then after that follow up with the flash of the retail xt bios

10. BlackPearl New Member

Thanks Received:
    What happened? I always had success using the modified flashrom from this site and one of the bios from the library (ATI 16p pro & Sapphire XT worked fine for me).

11. UTMBGUY New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey thanks everyone especially U Pearl I got it to work i see 16 pipes now gotta invest in a new cooler now..cant wait to put this baby to use

U said you were from Houston? im from galveston

12. BlackPearl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I figured from your screen name. I imagine that you're enjoying the new space-themed Fry's nearby.

Congratulations on unlocking your card, I think you'll be very happy with the performance. I've regretted selling mine.