1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI's next gen GPU in next half of 2010

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by _33, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.3dgameman.com/news/2010/03/26/next-ati-graphic-cards-2nd-half-year
    Apparently the new chips (code named Northern Islands) will feature a completely new architecture, as stated from the article linked above. So hopefully ATI will kick Nvidia butt in the tessellation field sooner than later, and 48 or 64 ROPs wouldn't hurt. Apparently from what is said is that the new HD6000 series will feature MIMD (Multiple Instruction, Multiple Data Parallelism) instead of SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data Parallelism).

Apparently the MIMD part isn't big news, talking about MIMD shaders :p http://www.dvhardware.net/article38403.html
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    dr emulator (madmax) and Super XP say thanks.
  2. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    This is getting insane! ;) I haven"t even moved to dx11 at all and its already time for a new generation of cards? :( I'd have gladly upgraded if the games followed the hardware though, which sadly ain't the case. Apart from metro 2033 and a couple more, I don't see the real need for all that powa, even if I'd gladly have liked to have it ($$$$)
  3. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    GO ATi, they are raping the competition lol:laugh:
    stefanels, Goodman, DTV DRAGON and 3 others say thanks.
  4. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I feel bad for Nvidia.
  5. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh, how quickly the tides turn.

every competitive market is sinusoidal.. at least they make it look that way.
  6. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    True, i see no real reason to upgrade my 4870 (is this a bad or a good thing:confused:)

buying any card now is pointless, since by mid year the 5000 series will be 1 year old, and the 6000 series will be out, i will wait for those cards.

Nvidia did with fermi what 3dfx did with all their cards, and we all know how it ended for 3dfx.
  7. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've also read somewhere that the 512-bit wide memory interface is supposed to come back, but that is pure speculation.

Source: http://translate.google.com/transla...-Series-t321965.html&sl=pl&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

8. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    wtf lmao i was going to order a 5850 now this happends XD
  9. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Rofl! But you do know that once you'll wait the 6000 series, NV will come out with news about their new cards, then you might also wait, to see how it pans out, next ati will... well, it'll never end! :laugh:
    dustyshiv says thanks.
  10. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    tell me about it cuz i thought 6000s was going to be out at the end of this yr or it still is

im on my cell at work and batts dieing lol

but i wanted to get a 5850 ordered from newegg tonight when i get off in like 1hr 1/2
  11. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Dual Core?
  12. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    lol. Anyways, all we know is that it'll come sometime in the 2nd half of the year. We'd think ati wouldn't be arsed, since they already have a strong and competitive line-up but it seems they aren't sitting on their laurels no more! Anyways, btw, the competition plans to bring mid range cards, codenamed gf104 if I ain't wrong.

If I were you, I'd sit out this generation, your sli config of 9600's should do fine for the moment! A lil patience sometimes pays off!
    Super XP and DOM say thanks.
  13. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I got my thread closed :cry:
    Anyway let me contribute to the HD 6800's :toast:

14. jagd

Thanks Received:
    There is no info about MIMD and other things ,it is pure speculation i would not trust writer more than a tabloid news paper (talking about donanimhaber) , what he said is " according to rumours " and i know what im talking about since turkish is my native language .
    New artitecture may have MIMD i dont know but he does not know either , take with truck load of salt what has been written at donanimhaber , i guess it was a slow day and pulled from his leg :shadedshu .

About 512bit memory ,there is a part in turkish news says "it will be first radical change since R600 " and i guess it is where confusing coming from (bad translation or something else) but i dont see 512 bit memory in news or somewhere else.
    OK what Sasa Marinkovic (marketing manager of EMEA region) told new platform including new generation vga cards will come at 2011 (if info is wrong dont blame me i just translated from turkish to english) and also said they will be loyal to roadmap given by Derk Meyer

TSMC canceled 32nm and will move to 28nm but when i dont know.
    Super XP says thanks.
  15. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    El_Mayo says thanks.
  16. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
  17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Your old thread is now defunct and wrong. Southern Islands before Northern Islands. Also, everybody and their mother has posted the hitler Fermi video, just like the Hitler PS3 video and the Hitler 5870 video. Not only is it old and has worn out it's usefulness, it doesn't belong in the ATi section and it doesn't belong where intelligent discussion is happening.

I appreciate your enthusiasm as I too like ATi, however If I were to spend my time fluffing them everywhere I would at least expect to get paid. Anyhoo, it will be interesting to see some of this newer archetecture integrated with Evergreen, and hopefully this will decrease the chances of the new arch. being a flop.
    H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  18. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
    found this --- > http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/30/atis-next-generation-outed/

i know its not (semiaccurate :laugh: ) authentic ... just wanted to share ...

19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's SemiAccurate, but at least is isn't some bashing story. AMD mentioned a refresh, and those wondering what that refresh might be this is probablly it:

..maybe. This could be the next generation entirely as well. Or, Southern Islands could just pertain to the higher end cards for a refresh and the lower/mid end cards could get the die shrink the same way they did with the HD 4770. Then for the 6 series they take the good out of the refresh and add the die shrink.
    _33 and 95Viper say thanks.
  20. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    This is good news... I love new tech. I'll be waiting.
    I'll see you(in general) in the BST threads later for that good deal on a 5870 or so.:)
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  21. soldier242 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't believe that AMD is bringing a complete new architecture, they always say that kind of thing and i don't expect 512bit wide bus, since they dropped it last time because the price/performance ratio wasn't their kind of thing
  22. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the Southern Islands (plan C) is true, then we won't see the day of the new MIMD shaders this year. I think that plan C is a bad move, very conservative but bad for the people wanting to get their hands on totally new architecture.

Here's older info coming from xbit labs about ATI plans (dating back to 01/21/2010) mentioning about Southern Islands: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/...ck_for_the_Second_Half_of_2010_AMD_s_CEO.html
  23. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    AMD's Hecatoncheires GPU family codenames revealed ;)
    http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15918/34/

ATI next generation is codenamed Hecatoncheires :)
    http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15891/34/
    ---------------
    In My Opinion:
    ATI Code Name: Southern Islands = Evergreen Re-fresh w/ elements of next gen tech @ a more efficient 40nm process. Should produce approx: 40% performance increase over HD 5870 and HD 5970.
    ATI Code Name: Northern Islands = Next Gen - Built from the Ground up. w/ new 28nm process. Should produce approx: 75% to 150% performance increase over HD 5870 and HD 5970.
    ATI Code Name: Hecatoncheires = Rumoured to be the code name for another Next Gen GPU. Can this be a Dual-GPU or even a Tri-GPU graphics monster :eek: . It seems as though ATI plans on making their new GPU's smaller and more efficient, it can very well be possible for a Tri-GPU and even a Quad-GPU card. This can also be based on the GPU that will be part of the Fusion CPU/GPU.
    Go ahead, speculate your hearts out please ;)

ATI 40nm Southern Islands slated for Fall?
    http://www.dvhardware.net/article41977.html

ATI Reportedly Preps “Southern Islands” Family of Graphics Chips
    http://aphnetworks.com/news/2010/03/31/ati-reportedly-preps-“southern-islands”-family-graphics-chips
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  24. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    We could say that it's now official that ATI will use their plan C (Southern Islands) for the next graphics card release, and that we are talking of 2010 (Q3 or Q4, but some say Q2(?)). Now what we need to know is what exactly consists Southern Islands. Yes it will be the uncore of the Northern Islands (so brand new technology there) and the EverGreen shaders (meaning same DX11 shaders as the 58xx models), but still... We do not know for the high end card, how many shaders, and if it will beat the GTX480 in performance? Will the tessellation performance be 3 to 4X those of the 5 series? And will they make the GPU in a way that it has a two times 800 shaders type config, pushing what some speculate twice the number of triangles as what we saw in the 58xx series?
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  25. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    What's this Hectaoncheires Fud talks about?

Never heard of Hectaoncheires
    Maybe it's SI?