1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI's next gen GPU in next half of 2010

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by _33, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm, if fermi still using SMID so why people say it's revolutionary?

i thing it's just a tweaked GT2XX core,

2. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I wanted to wait for new generation, but i decided i just can't wait anymore :p So i'll be getting HD5850 soon. I hope.

3. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well from what Tom's Hardware says, the GF100 has twice the shader capacity as it's predecessor, which I find pretty good in itself. Next, the uncore portion of the GF100 is in itself pretty revolutionary as it quadruples the geometry performance (If I understand correctly, from the white papers).

We are supposed to see the same thing with the Southern Island (new ATI gpu). Basically we have very good performing shader units, and those will be kept. But since ATI will use the uncore of Northern Islands there, we will get something similar to what the GF100 is in terms of advancements in triangle performance. This is what I believe. So the little lead that fermi has over Evergreen will (or should) be gone with the next ATI chips.

But for fermi, I have to agree that it is not revolutionary as a whole, but the pixel pipeline is a true marvel of technology. Hopefully ATI's SI will be as advanced.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  4. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Yes it's not revolutionary I agree though it does posses some innovative technologies, but it doesn't seem to perform as well as it should seeing how complex & interesting it’s design is.
    This is why AMD's Southern Island interests me.
    Here we have a Evergreen squished together with some of Northern Island said to outperform Fermi by quite a bit. And yet NVIDIA doesn’t seem to have a backup plan due to Fermi’s failure. Let alone AMD still has its Northern Island monster waiting in the shadows. Looks like AMD may keep the crown for more than 2+ years.

5. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    ATI Reportedly Preps “Southern Islands” Family of Graphics Chips.

hadn't read this or seen it before and i'm pretty active on the threads concerning ATI's next gen. And as this is posted on xbitlabs i trust it and don't believe they'd post any info they didn't feel was significant. So from what i gathered ATI's next gen, Southern Islands, will keep evergreens stream processor design but have an overhaul on features. Then following will be Northern Islands with the new shader design/"brand new architecture" we've all been hearing about.

6. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Because it wasn't until the G80 came around that a GPU could do 1 triangle/clock while pixel, fill, and everything else has shot through the room. Triangles/clock rate has been unproportionally stagnate. If developers make tessellation scalable like that in Heaven, then tri/clock power will become very, very important. Only time will tell but I think it would be a safe bet seeing as this is the way Fermi is deigned and with nVidia's TWIMTBP thing, they will be pushing this.

7. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Release Date!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Islands_(GPU_Family)

According to various sources, Southern Islands may be schedules for release in the :eek:Q4 2010 timetable based on the 40nm process node. This all depends on how well TSMC can pull things together. AMD may still be able to get its 28nm architecture out in H1 2011:eek:, which has been suggested by other sources.

8. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    The date is just from the AMD person saying a refresh is coming 2H of this year.

FWIW, give any Evergreen gpu twice the tessellation power (using two cards) and the scaling is almost linear in Heaven with moderate and heavy tessellation. Looks like SI might really rock the Fermi word is tessellation power.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075

9. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    not to mention its wiki...for all we know i posted that there :p

10. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Wel did you :D

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, it was either myself or nt300. If nt300 doesn't fess up to it, I did it.

Wiki is supposed to be an online encyclopedia. I didn't think things like [Rumor] would be posted in an encyclopedia. So, in that case I guess the Wiki is not an encyclopedia and is just another source of FUD for the fanboy base. The internet is being ruined by idiots that bind themselves to corporations. Pretty disgusting. Then again, I live pretty damn close to AMD's HQ too. Too bad the rampant fanboyism and idiocracies almost makes a man want to go out and buy a Fermi.

12. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    i am gonna wait till the next gen to upgrade... and this would be amazing if its true. My 260's are out to set a *personal* longevity record. Dual cards ftw.

aug 2008 to aug 2010 :D.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  13. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Seems like a very short time if you ask me, and I thought Dual boards were meant for longetivity.

14. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    yeah thats why i threw in *personal*... for me that was AGES ago. I usually change every year on a single card. Sell it and buy something new thats 2x as fast... now i would have to spend $700 to do that... and that isnt gonna happen any time soon.

plus .... you're a bit of an exception, with the whole still rocking the 1950pro

15. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I ordered my 9800SE from Newegg on 8/24/2004. Still kicking strong! :D

16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    AGP, I got this board as upgrade to a 9700 Pro, Im thinking about a upgrade later this year (New Machine) and then take this machines mobo and CPU and selling it replacing with a Early Athlon X2 or Core 2 DDR Mobo and keep the rest the same or even add 2 more gigs of ram. I Probably wont be getting 2 fast cards but 1 fast one. 5890 Probably with a HT Omega Sound card. I was lucky to even get COD4 running on this machine.

17. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    i still have my powercolor 9550 from then!!!! it replaced my geforce mx440 LOL.

18. Flanker

Thanks Received:
    I hope the 6xxx series will all have their GPU's placed away from the I/O of the card so that most aftermarket cooler can fit

19. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Did you do it? Are you register with them?
    If that the case then Radeon, Evergreen (GPU family), Northern Islands (GPU family) on wiki are BS :cool:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  20. toastem2004

toastem2004

Thanks Received:
    Had an AMD engineer come by the shop the other day to fill in for our sales rep. He was able to tell me that the 6xxx series will be 28nm is currently scheduled to launch 1Q '11. He did say that some cards "may" be available for 4Q '10. He also would only confirm that it was indeed all new arch, but would not answer any more specific questions.

21. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    :toast: :rockout: :toast:

It may very well be low to mid range HD 6000's cards to get released in Q4 2010, perhaps to test the waters on the new 28nm I assume.
    Then we get the HD 6800's in Q1 2011, which again I assume it would be in late Q1 2011. So this would leave Southern Islands release sometime within now and August 2010 :confused: :D

22. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I am registered yes. I didn't post it, but you are right it is most likely BS. Anything with "[Rumor]" in front of it usually is. :p

This sounds spot on to me. Very believable. :toast:

I don't believe the whole Southern Islands thing.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  23. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Well you may have a point here :confused: It seems to me that this Southern Islands thingy may have been a back up plan for AMD which all depended on TMSC and its 28nm process. Anyway it's already confirmed that TMSC stated they will have full production of 28nm in Q4 2010, which brings us to ATI Radeon's based on 28nm for Q1 2011 :D Also the crapping of 32nm delayed things at least 6 months.

So what about the re-fresh? We know AMD is planning on them, but when? Now to August is what I predict ;)

24. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    he is telling the truth, this guy knew his stuff. unlike the intel reps that come in and "breif" us on 3 month old tech news that we already know.

25. erocker

Thanks Received:
    The refresh was stated before we found out about the 32nm process being dropped. Kinda makes things a bit more blurred as to what's going to be happening next. Unless of course they knew about it being dropped when they made the statement. Oh sooo secretive! :D