1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI's physics

Discussion in 'News' started by D_o_S, Mar 24, 2006.

1. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    After NVIDIA, ATI is getting into the physics processing game too. ATI has claimed that its GPUs are perfectly capable of calculating complex physics, and that there is plenty of power left over on its new GPUs to render graphics as well as calculate physics at the same time. Crossfire setups can have one card to do the graphics, and another (that does not have to be from the same family) can be used solely for physics. ATI has gone as far as claim that its solution will be superior to both NVIDIA and AGEIA. All that is needed for the ATI solution to run is an ATI card (duh) and appropriate software.

Source: Dailytech
  2. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, now ATi is getting cocky.
  3. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    now that's one heck of a BOLD statement.
  4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ati has been working on this for a while internally .. my guess is that it's based on shadermodel 3.0 which means it would work on nvidia too if their software was modified a little.. i even heard rumor about how this could be directx based universal
  5. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want PhysX cards man :)
    F**k having the graphics card do it... Graphics cards are there for a reason, GRAPHICS. And physics cards are well, for physics :p
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    wow thats kinda cocky /slaps ati.
  7. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    And it will come out 4 months after Nvidia's solution is widely available, and will be available only in limited quantities from very few suppliers.
  8. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    what are the Physx cards suppose to run on PCI? Anyways that would be good to have a seperate card other then the gpu but i do kinda find myself likeing both ideas :/
  9. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pci from what I've heard
  10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    lol I heard that it was supposed to run on PCIe X1 (yeah, those slots that your 2-slot cooled card blocks right now :D) along with the new soundblasters. Which would explain the low amount of PCI slots on the new motherboards...lol
  11. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    BUT IT WONT SHIMMER! Some of you probably know what I'm talking about... :D
  12. DaJMasta

Thanks Received:
    It's PCI. Already in production and available from Asus and BFG and in Dell's new XPSs.

I would have hoped for PCI-E, but just cause we have so many spaces on the mobos and so few cards to fill them :(

And for the record, ATI was talking about this before the launch of the x1000 series, I remember distinctly thinking this was cool.

I believe their power claims, but reserve judgement of what their software will actually deliver....until they deliver it.

One of the best features of this (as opposed to nVidia's) is that it DOES NOT NEED CROSSFIRE. I.e. the cards don't even have to be the same.
  13. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    What are you talking about? Nvidia is the KING of limited quantities. They invented the whole area.
  14. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    yeah, and ATI learns from Nvidias mistakes. X1800/X1900 was out in good numbers on release date, and only went out of stock because of huge sales....and the quantities were quickly replenished. ATI, in my opinion, perfected multi-card platforms. SLI is only compatible with certain games, Crossfire is compatible with ALL games. Imagine...what if RAID wasn't compatible with all your games? :p
  15. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    man that sucks for the people who think their l33t and have the new sapphire 3200 chipsets and have like x1900's in crossfire with their xfi SB in their ONE pci slot.