1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATITool destroyed my X800GTO

Discussion in 'ATITool' started by jephph, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jephph New Member

Thanks Received:
    What the...? I ran the "Find Max Core" thing and I came back like 3 mins later and my screen was all messed up, and I couldn't hit abort because it was lagging so bad. It looked like it was bringing the core down too. What the crap happened? Now I can't even start my computer with that card in.

2. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    you really have to watch it when its on find max core.. if you've read, that is one of the most buggy parts of ATItool.. I dont use it at all, and I do think it should be removed until improved on.

You really should overclock manually, and you made the mistake of leaving the comp when it was being auto overclocked. Its not too hard to find the max core manually, just slide the bar up and hit apply, then run Artifact scan, and then repeat until artifacts are showing. If it glitches, pull the power plug.

and I hope to god you didnt do it on stock cooling..

3. jephph New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hadn't even overclocked it yet. And the slider was moving down, not up. It was down to like 50 core when I got back, and that's when my screen started messing up.

4. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    how did it destroy your card by underclocking?

5. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    its possible... ive heard that the card will run too low in clocks and the voltage wont be used by the core and memory, and it will actually eventually cook the card, ive had it happen...

6. jephph New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, what can I do about it? $135 down the drain? I can send it back to Newegg or Sapphire can I?

7. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can try an RMA, since you didnt overclock.. idk..

Describe your problem better.. nothing shows up on the screen? take it out, and try another video card...

8. overclock[r] New Member

Thanks Received:
    it happens to me too
    u have to shut down the comp, turn psu off, and wait a day
    and also, why isnt ur vpu recover on?
    i accidentally turned mine off and my temps reached 125c in dod:s
    i never play dod again...
    125c is insane... i burned my hand pretty badly
    and no, solder melts at 400-500c if ur thinking my card is a pool of solder
    it definatly affected my cards performance and overclockablilty, before i was at 600/630
    now i can barely run 570/610
    edit: after reading some posts... u say it underclocked?
    lets hope it doesnt try to retain the settings everytime windows boots up, because thats a problem
    u will have to reformat or somehow magic ati tool away

9. jephph New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm running another card right now. Works fine. When the x800 is in, my power button on my monitor just keeps switching on and off and nothing shows up on the screen.

10. ARTOSOFT New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea but that guy overclocked it and fried it @ 93c..

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  12. jephph New Member

Thanks Received:
    No. That's not me, and not my card. You think I'll be able to RMA it even if I (and ATITool) caused the problem?

13. overclock[r] New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmm
    how do u fry a card at 93c?
    mine reached 125 and still lived (had to pull the plug fast tho)
    i think i have a overclocking king... with volt mods this will rule
    hmmmm
    dunno
    but i definatly didnt fry my card at 125
    at dod:s i started seeing grid-style artifacts all over the screen so i alt-tabed to windows
    looked at ati tool
    said 125c
    took about a minuite to realize that it was the truth...
    then i was like... OMFGOMFGOMFG
    then i pulled the plug
    it started to smell like burnt plastic though

14. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    didnt say it was, and he was asking if it was the same kind of problem as what you were having..

They wont know how you broke it, and if its not physically burnt, it wont be visible and a factor that could void the rma..

**and dude.. spend like.. $50 on a new cooler, because you can be sure as hell that that overclocking god wont be around much longer if it continues to go @ 125c..

***yea he did burn it out @ 93c, idk how.. not sure what happened... didnt read the whole thing..

15. overclock[r] New Member

Thanks Received:
    i guess my iceq2 cooler fan is disconnecting
    oh ya
    i remember now
    the fan cord disconnected
    reconnected and its all good, just bad overclockablilty now

16. ARTOSOFT New Member

Thanks Received:
    They do not know if you are using ATITool if you are not telling them. ATITool will not leave any marks say: "this card have been overclocked using ATITool".

Regards,
    Arto.

17. jephph New Member

Thanks Received:
    All right. Thanks guys. I'll put it in one more time tomorrow and see if it works. If not, I'll RMA it. Thanks.

18. Konky New Member

Thanks Received:
    We got 2 things here that sound weird:
    a) you try to find max clock and atitool lowers the clock?
    Maybe your card overheated during findmaxclock, atitool detects artifacts and lowers frequency, artifacts still there -> one step down again, and so on.
    In any case: it is very stupid to leave the card alone in such processes as atitool does not have any temperature alerts yet. You are resonsible to keep the temp at it's correct place.
    I guess you can be glad it's just a x800 as they are pretty cheap these days

b) I strongly doubt that there can be a damage from underclocking.
    Overvolting -> yes sure
    But it's not like the unused "volt" burn the card, that's like removing a battery from a device and the battery starts heating up and explodes :)
    Well, we all know this can happen *cought* *sony* *cought* but it's a rare thing :)

For the future: always keep an eye on the temperatures, make sure your cooler can take the heat in a stress test (the temperature has to stay stable at a specific point during stress test)

19. savor_of_filth New Member

Thanks Received:
    right....

20. overclock[r] New Member

Thanks Received:
    all x800gtos with r480core and samsung memory can take over 125c on core and 150c on memory
    i learned the harder way...
    good thing my card is still alive
    if his card was hotter than 125c... there has to be a good reason...

21. jephph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok. So I didn't read all the documentation... :D Anyway, I'm pretty sure now that it's because I had fraps running. And Konky, apparently a card can die from underclocking. I tried lots of things to see if it would work again, including uninstalling ATITool. Still no go. So to all you underclockers out there, just know that there is a limit ;)

22. Konky New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well in that case we don't know if it wasn't overclocked too badly before it was underclocked, eh ?
    so if it once is damaged it ofcourse will also have problems at low frequencies
    in prnicipe you should be able to underclock to any frequency you prefer, just at some stage it won't work, or you might get timing problems.

23. vortexkrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    You wanta tissue? lol :nutkick: anyways you should not be blaming Ati Tool at all if you are. Just give it an RMA and you will be fine lol.

24. Falkentyne New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been saying since day one to NEVER use "find max speed", both on futuremark and other forums. Always do it manually, adjusting core by +25 (+10 for older cards like 9800 Pro) until it locks up in 3dmark 2001 Nature, or Trolls Lair or similar shader intensive tests on newer 3dmark versions (hard to do unless you are a Pro User), disable title screen between tests, etc, then back down 10 mhz until stable, and do the same thing on the memory, this time looking for flashing triangles or snow or black dots on the screen and then cutting back on the speed by half of what you were incrementing by (example if you were testing in 50 mhz increments, go back -25).

By using find max speed and then LEAVING the computer (TWO deadly sins), you were worthy of a darwin award by having your card die.

Oh, and to the others, stop telling people that the cards are running too hot. ATI cards are DESIGNED to run over 80C **BEFORE** the fan kicks into full 100%. Go have a look with the BIOS yourself and see. You aren't running too hot (stock volts assumed) unless your card gets close to 100C, then you need to start worrying about improving the cooling. And 95C will not kill the card. If you think 85C is too hot, go yell at ATI about it.

25. overclock[r] New Member

Thanks Received:
    qft
    my card can take over 125c