1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Attaching 2 monitors to the same video card - need advice please.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Black Panther, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Firstly apologies if this is a super-n00b question, but it's something I've never done before, because I didn't think I'd be needing it.

Now I know that I can attach 2 monitors on my GT. It's got 2 DVI outputs. However, before I go into the trouble of doing it I would like to know if I'd be getting the expected results.

The thing is that originally I had my old pc... which I gave to my 5 year old daughter when I assembled the new one... then we bought an apartment - which missed a pc so I took the old pc there.... and I share it with my kid. Now the kid (rightfully) expects that since she shares 'her' pc with me in one place.... I should 'share' my rig :)cry:) with her at home.... (is there a bigger crying emoticon somewhere?!?)

Anyway what I wanted to get is having both me and my kid using the same rig. It'd be advantageous because I could keep a half-eye on her making sure she doesn't mess up anything I have.

However what I wanted to ask before I go into the trouble of carrying a heavy CRT from my dad's place is:

What would be the result when I connect both monitors?

I do not want to have the same screen stretched out on 2 monitors. Apart from the fact that it would look terribly funny stretched on the right on a 19"LCD and on the left on a 17"CRT, but what I want really is that my daughter and I can access different stuff at the same time.

I'm not looking into games as such, but would it be possible with such a setup for... for example my daughter browsing the internet on her sites while I can browse the net on my sites?

Another thing.... what about mouse and keyboard input?

Imagine this scenario: I'm on TPU... my kid is on ABCdotfirstwordsdotlearndotspongebobwhatever....

Can we both use the same pc? Or should I just try to get her to stare at Zek's avatar? :D

2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Uh, having a second monitor attached to your computer does not mean you now have two computers.

Both monitors would show the same desktop and simpley put, the second one would just be an extintion of the first one.

:)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  3. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    No. Not possible.

You can have 2 monitors that have 2 desktops, but you can only ever have one input. So whoever is on the PC could use both monitors. ie 2 browsers open etc. but you can't have it so you can do 2 different things at the same time.

Take my set up

I have a 20" Dell widescreen and an unbranded 17" TFT both hooked up to my card.

The 20 is the main, which I play games browse the net etc.

The 17 is my secondary which I use for copying data from documents, leaving temp monitoring programs open etc. etc. etc.

So even though I effectively have 2 seperate desktops, I can only use one at once.

4. zCexVe

zCexVe

Thanks Received:
    there are softwares that can make one PC usable for many.One is Thinsoft BeTwin.It can make what u expect.MSI used to give it away free with old mobo CDs havent seen lately.Try googling for it.I havent used it though but it will do the work IMHO.

Black Panther says thanks.
  5. GLeN New Member

Thanks Received:
    So on thegt, that means you can connect a hdtv and a normal 17inch monitor and have it just like you said one for games one for browsing whatever? haha thats great

6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks zCexVe, I had been thinking that like I suspected hooking 2 monitors didn't obviously enable 2 users to do 2 different processes on the pc. I'll be looking into your link. :)

7. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received: