1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATTENTION ALL SAPPHIRE VAPOR X 7950 Owners

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by night.fox, Feb 7, 2013.

1. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    The review says high vrm temps but do YOU have high vrm temps?
    AlienIsGOD and syeef say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    unfortunately I could not test it now as I am on trip right now.

But I have the same 2x8 pin. So I am guessing I have same production as his. Initially Sapphire has released a 1x8 pin and 1x6 pin power connector and I have no idea if there was a difference in the board or how it was made.

He has high VRM temps because of thermal pads used in the memories to get it contact with the heat spreader
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Well he has given us all warning so we can check our cards! They may have fixed the issue or maybe not :eek:
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you look at post #6 of that thread, it seems Sapphire is saying that his card has an incorrect bios on it (boost bios). Whether or not this is the root cause, the bios overclock could be the cause of the 120*C temps on the VRMs, more specifically if the cooler was not designed for such an OC.
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  6. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    No, thats not the case at all. +100MHz on the GPU isn't going to skyrocket the VRMs to 120c unless you throw the damn thing in a oven and run it like that :p You are also forgetting, there are a LOT of people with these issues on the Vapor-X its not a isolated incident as can be seen from the links I gave in that article. A good vBIOS for this card could sort it out, but theres been nothing. The Vapor-X is a good piece of hardware, marred by sub-standard cooling and a piss-poor vBIOS.
  7. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    I think it must be the 8+8 pin board that has these issues cuz I have a 8+6 pin 7970 and it hit 1700mhz on the VRAM and 1150mhz on the core and never got over 74°C under load with reasonably quite fan settings me being me I run the fans fast enough to get the card under 70°C in furmark. The V-x 7970 and 7950 8+6 pin share VRM designs so I think it must be 8+8 pin revision specific issue I wonder if not using the last 2 pins of the second 8 pin could help.
  8. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    ^^ In theory that might work albeit one might need to plug in auxiliary power to the mainboard itself. Of course, the card may also just refuse to boot where its "lacking" power. I can't even remember if I've tried what you mentioned its been a while since I've messed with the card, I'll try later. AFAIK the PCB on the 8+8 pin versions are identical to the 8+6 pin versions so maybe the issue is simply the extra power is causing the VRMs to overheat.
  9. Relayer

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure how the memory contact with the heat spreader could effect VRM temps? Also, the card does have a separate heat sink for the vrm on that design. Possibly a problem with contact between the vrm and their heat sink?
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Interesting that the higher end models are having this issue mine is the non-vapor x 6+8 pin (8+8 solder points available) and has fine temps with a decent overclock.

(thanks for the thread reminded me I need to order a second card)