1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATX voltage tolerances

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by silkstone, Apr 3, 2014.

1. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I'm running extenders from my power supply to my Mobo and Video card. I'm a little concerned about the voltage drops I am seeing. When i put my cpu at load i'm getting 11.46v on the +12v line and 11.6v on the video cards 12v line.

These are (just) within the +/- 5% specs of atx, but not by much. Should I be worried at all?

2. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't worry about it. Your hard drive is going to be the most sensitive to this kind of stuff.

silkstone says thanks.
  3. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    It's relatively common to see some variance in the voltages either higher or lower, within a few percentage points. Usually becomes more common the older a PSU gets. But if things are operating fine, those variances of yours don't bother me.

silkstone says thanks.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It's an issue if it's because your PSU is aging or struggling. Using a thicker gauge wire for the extender would minimize resistance and voltage drop.

Are you using a multimeter to check the voltage? Onboard sensors don't always produce accurate results.

5. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Just the on-board sensors, I don't have a digital MM and I'm not sure I could safely measure the voltages at the same time as stress testing the CPU. I know they are not 100% accurate, I may have to see what voltages get without the extenders, It just means I'll have to do my cable management all over again :(