1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audio via Display Port cable question...

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Footman, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Footman

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps this is a noob question, but I could do with some solid answers :)
    I am lucky enough to have a pair of R9-290's in CF and a shiny new Asus 28in 4K monitor. I built a new pc based on an i7 4790K and an Asus Hero 7 motherboard. Currently I am playing games and listening to sound via Denon ADH340 headphones connected to the rather good onboard 1150 motherboard sound. I have not installed my Asus Xonar DX card and do not think that I will bother!

Anyway, I connected the monitor to my R9-290's through DP 1.2 and am extremely happy with the result, I have a pair of old desktop speakers that I want to get rid of as this monitor is huge and I need the extra space. The monitor comes with built in speakers that are not too bad and I currently have them connected to my onboard sound via line out.

I noticed that the monitor has an option for audio via DP and I would rather use this in order to clean up the clutter of the extra line out cable, obviously I understand that DP carries audio as well as video but I am a little confused as to the source of the audio processing when using DP.

I guess what I am trying to say is if I use the audio via DP is the audio provided by the video card, or passed through the video card via the onboard 1150 processors. I am a little confused to be honest as I know that the R9-290 have truaudio built in.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I guess some education wont hurt me .....