1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audiophiles chime in

Discussion in 'General Software' started by inferKNOX, Oct 20, 2010.

1. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
  2. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Isnt this program just for bass boost? An equalizer could do the same thing. Most audiophiles agree that the less post-processing that occurs, the better it sounds. People spend lots of money on sound cards/other devices that avoid post-processing. Windows itself has 5 or 6 different stages.
  3. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    my advice is get a pair of sennheiser in ear monitors [mine are mm 50 iP] CX300 CX400, CX500, and anything inbetween, also a guy i met on some audio forums likes RE0[not sennheiser] alot, they are only about 80 bux, ive never heard them myself but if their anything like their reviews they should be better than my MM 50 iPs, anyway, that combined with no post processing your audio will result in something that sounds pretty amazing, you wont even have to crank up the bass or anything on you r tuner.
  4. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    It isn't.
    I'm happy with my pair of Roccat Kaves. Hardware isn't the issue.

I'm interested in what you guys think about the effect of the program. I'm not an audiophile myself and think this makes normal audio sound impressively better, so I want to hear what criticisms real audiophiles would have against it (after testing), to know what to listen out for myself when trying to get perfect sound.
    Please just try it guys, hear what it does, then post it.
    Thanks;)
  5. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can bitstream lossless to my receiver.

Nuff said.

Oh and if ffdshow doesn't have any filters/effects then they aren't necessary (IMO). I find the performance of it to be so satisfying that I often use it to test settings changes before I commit them to my receiver. (It is easier to navigate and change settings in FFDshow than on my receiver.) You'll notice all the available transforms on the left side of the window in this screencap:

[​IMG]

Of course I should add that I rarely use the filters for anything but testing settings. I almost always have it on bitstream with no decode.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  6. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
  7. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    audiophiles don't use software, they use hardware. best to save your cash and put it into hardware.
  8. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    Sigh... I wish someone would actually just test it then comment.
    Come on guys, you got nothing to lose, and it might be something that impresses you. I just want to hear some comments like, "It causes too little 'this'," or "too much 'that'," etc. I want to hear (after you try it) how it enhances your experience with your hardware, if at all. Just try to put yourself in slightly less of a hardcore purist stance for a second to test it.;)

@Ninkobwi: Thanks, but I'm not talking about iWOW, I'm talking about HD Audio Lab.:)
  9. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    alright man, i have a pair of sennheiser MM 50 iP's [with a cute little smartphone to normal stuff adapter] and I'l give the free trial a try give you my thoughts on it. brb.
  10. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    interesting, it seems to be alot of things, a hafler circuit kind of function, and a frequency limiter for like headphones [to cut out bass] and laptop speakers [to cut out even more bass] and an easy way to control where to output audio, also it seems to be applying EQ settings too based on if you select music, or gaming or movies, it might be a little more complicated than an EQ based on what they said on the website but :? thats what it sounds like to me.

kind of cool, i do kind of wish i had a good program that worked like a hafler circuit, and emulate 3d audio on headphones well, that would be fun for video games for sure [in your case you wouldn't need it to emulate it back for headphones!] but for audiophiles, i think we've all experimented with hafler circuits, something fun to play with
    inferKNOX and streetfighter 2 say thanks.
  11. jamesrt2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok dude basically it does make things sound prettier... but artificially. I used it for a while when i used cheaper headphones/speakers sennheiser cx500/870's and some poo harman kardon speakers.... now i've upgraded in both departments you can hear how it actually takes away certain things from songs and hides them especially listening to the same song over and over with it on then off..

it is cool but many people (especially 'audiophiles' specifically wont like it
    inferKNOX says thanks.
  12. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    i would LOVE it if it were not messing with the sound, if it was just separating it and adding 3d emulation that would be really fun. maybe i should email them and ask them for that as a feature :?
  13. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ffdshow has custom speaker matrix and convolver included as optional filters in their decoders. (I was pitching ffdshow earlier in the thread... Sorry I just love ffdshow soooo much.) You can have the computer apply the filter and send it out LPCM to the receiver which is as close to optimal as you can get with the computer doing the decode.

In my experience neither sound particularly good but it's fun to use the custom speaker matrix to make a stereo audio track blast 5.1 style. It certainly amuses my guests.
  14. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    I think you should email them actually. I do think the interface is over-simplified, like the orb in the centre serving no purpose but to strobe. At least some sort of equalizer would be better IMO. Besides that, some sort of indication of what it is actually doing (ie, enabling, disabling, etc) when applying a setting would have been nice.
    I tried it and, well, in all honesty don't know how to critique it's audio processing. I do like it though.
    Thanks again for trying it and giving feedback!
    :toast:
  15. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    THANK YOU. I thought the OP was going to talk about expensive record players, high end speakers, CD players or valve amplifiers.
  16. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    or nice in-ear monitors, <3 in-ear monitors