1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[US] Aune T1 Integrated Headphone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by BumbleBee, Jan 21, 2014.

1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$129.99

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/aune-t1-amp-dac-combo

2. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it's well made.

it's got a Burr-Brown PCM1793 D/A converter, brushed aluminum chassis, Alps pot, Wima caps, Elna caps, NE5532 op-amps (Amplifier), OPA2134 op-amps (DAC), B649/D669 Transistors, Electro Harmonix 6922 tube for buffer. the power supply is basically a brick with a toroidal inside it and it comes with a USB Type A to B cable.

[​IMG]

MT Alex, erocker, Crap Daddy and 2 others say thanks.
  3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    this looks awesome.

BumbleBee says thanks.
  4. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Say I were to get one of these. I would want the 110v one for the USA?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    yes.

james888 says thanks.
  6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... I wonder how this would work with my HE-400 vs my E9 or Denon AVR....

I've read some good things about those and have been wondering if I could improve my overall audio experience with a better DAC than my Auzen Forte's...I would miss the Creative EQ...

7. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    you can EQ with a USB DAC.

you get to free up a slot, precision analog volume control and the T1 headphone amplifier has more driving power. I would buy one over a Essence or Titanium card.

Kursah says thanks.
  8. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I got one to upgrade from my azuntech prelude myself. Best sound I have experienced. I only have jvc rx700's though for headphones.

Kursah says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Does it come with an EQ? Or do I need to use a different system eq? I suppose just EQ-ing my music wouldn't be a bad idea...most games have enough bass, etc.

How about compared to my FiiO E9? I know it's not the greatest HP amp, but the E9 cost me around $100 years ago...and this Amp/Dac is close to that with this sale. I don't know about the tube stuff...and I have an approx 4" area on my desk where an amp can go atm. I need to look up dimensions. If It'll improve my sound I can justify (maybe) getting it. I am interested tho! I really, really, really enjoy my HE-400's on my current setup...if this will add to that I'd be game. I don't plan on "tube rolling" and it's a shame it doesn't come with the bassy tube it recommends for that...how's the bass with the stock tube? Will I hear any distortions because of the tube?

10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    you use the EQ in Foobar2000 or JRiver Media Center. each time I played with the Aune T1 i'm pretty sure it was a different tube. a tube isn't going to cost more than $10-20.

Kursah says thanks.
  11. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I believe thats the stock tube.

12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Preferring bassier sound should I get a different tube if I go for this? I may have sold my FiiO E9 already. A quick google search for the tube on that mass page comes up to $85+ when I looked it up...no thanks at that price. 10-20, yes please! Though I suppose I could just EQ too...

I am really interested...it'd be nice to enjoy a higher quality DAC without killing the bank. I could retire the Auzen or sell it. I would lose digital out to my receiver, but next question are the outputs on this locked at 2v or does it change with the volume pot?

I can't seem to find anyone comparing output of this to the E9...I know the E9 has power, but it lacks in quality fwir. I wish I could afford more...but I am about to start riding my bike again...so I can salvage some fuel $$ for this purchase.

13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    i'm pretty sure the line out is fixed.

14. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    meaning you need to plug it into a device that has a preamplifier like a pair of active monitors with a volume pot or computer speakers. don't ask it to make you bacon because it won't. I also forgot to mention there are gain controls (dip switches).

[​IMG]

Kursah says thanks.
  15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    That's good that it's a steady voltage, it'd need to feed sound to my receiver...I don't need two volume pots controlling the same output to my speakers. I did verify the output is fixed, that's a good thing for me.

Seems the DAC is better than what I currently have...by how much seems to be up to the listener. The power ratings seem decent, yet I can't find anyone with a clear answer vs the E9. Some like these with the he-400 and some say not enough bass...try different tubes or amp...I don't mind EQ-ing. I'll have to sleep on it...not quite sold on it.

:toast:

16. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it will drive 1 watt into a 32 ohm load. tube rolling gets addictive even with a small unit like this. some tubes will give you punchier bass.

Kursah says thanks.
  17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    oh i'm sorry you mean how does it stack up against the Fiio E9? I have no idea but this is the cheapest Tube D/A converter I know of which is why I bought one the other night.

Aune T1 $180 (has headphone amplifier)
    Maverick Audio D1 $199
    Maverick Audio D2 $249
    Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11 $389
    MHDT Steeplechase $399
    Musical Paradise MP-D1 $480
    Scott Nixon TD2.2 $485
    Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III $499 (has headphone amplifier)
    Music Hall DAC25.3 $595 (has headphone amplifier)

after that it starts getting into exotic ones.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    Kursah says thanks.
  18. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... well I'm still debating it. I just don't want to spend $130 on a side-grade. I don't mind having a sound card, I do like the Creative EQ that affects all system sounds (for those tinny movies and youtube music vids she likes to karoke to, etc). I know i can get an APO EQ though so that's not a HUGE deal.

The DAC should be an improvement, but I am hoping I lose minimally on Bass. It would be nice to have a USB solution that I could use on any future system because I am planning to possibly downgrade my case and MB to a smaller form-factor using a Fractal case so fitting a sound card would be an issue then. Hmm.....

19. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Good guys, My eyes are pleased...

meanwhile my lazy behind is putting this together...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    MT Alex says thanks.
  20. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I just got mine and am playing with it. It is not a side grade but not a huge upgrade either. It certainly sounds better. It sounds cleaner, seems to have a wider sound rage, and there is a lot more punch to bass. This is just with my lowly jvc rx700's. I too am trying to move to a smaller form factor and this is my step towards that. I like having the controls the prelude gave me but the drivers were crap.

I am not sure how to explain this, but my prelude sounded crisper if that makes sense. The annoying thing about getting this is now I want to upgrade my headphones. I also want to try out some other tubes too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I missed out on the sale, but got one with an extra tube for $100 shipped.

I lost some punch, but with the APO EQ + 31 band EQ it's pretty good. Without an EQ I am super disappointed with the sound, it's flat, thin and meh. My Auzen sounds crisper but I do like the EQ'd sound of the A1. I had to pop on the mid-gain switches because it wasn't driving my HE-400's nearly as well as the E9..still doesn't but it does sound clean. I'm still undecided on my favor of it. But it's nice to not need a sound card, I am planning on going to a smaller MB and Case in the future.

For the price it's good...but I can't say I am ready to sell my Auzen or E9. That combo is better at some songs and the T1 is better at others. I haven't tried other headphones yet but will this weekend.

:toast:

22. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I always left my EQ flat because I game more than music. That is one thing I have not tried is gaming with these yet though. I am keeping my azun prelude because I got a killer deal on it and it is really great. So you agree on the "crispness" which I thought was odd myself.

Here are some impressions from head fi. Would it be worth trying one or two of these out down the road?

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    A Phillips E88CC came with my T1...I tried the stock tube for a bit and tossed this one in. Tames the hi's a bit....adds a little bass I suppose. Both that and stock tube need an EQ bass boost big time at least imo. But my auzen isn't any better with a flat EQ. I'd say there's a duller sound to the T1 vs the Auzen when both are at flat EQ. Maybe that's what makes me feel the Auzen is crisper.

Maybe I expect too much bass...but these HE-400's deliver so well! I don't dislike the T1...just gotta keep convincing myself. Considering it's doing what was taking 2 parts to compete. It's easy to A|B..except for the 30-second heatup...I'm ready before then.