1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Auto-scroll to new posts not working?

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by human_error, Jul 30, 2009.

1. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    It seems that auto-scrolling to new posts in threads by clicking on links from the TPU front page and from clicking on threads in the forums themselves isn't working. This includes clicking on the "show new post" icon in the forum view.

Happens with all threads - ones i've read and ones i've half-read. Doesn't seem related to threads with single or multiple pages - all threads seem to be affected by this (seems to be a change introduced today).

Using firefox 3.5 - everything was fine yesterday but seems broken today, no changes on my browser settings or addons.

**edit**

seems to auto-scroll to the opening message of the threads instead of the actual new posts.

**edit 2**

seems to work for some threads and not others - example of a thread it doesn't work for is the sig policy thread by newtekie1, i don't know why.

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    works for me

3. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    gah fixed it my end - my cookies were full :banghead: - clearing my tpu cookies fixed it.

sorry about that, new firefox meant i stopped needing to clear all cookies for some sites, so the tpu ones must have just filled up...

4. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    explain "cookies were full"

5. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    i'm assuming that to keep track of what post i viewed last doesn't tpu store that data in a cookie? i only have 11 tpu cookies on my machine and so all the forum post data was stored in one cookie, which has a maximum string length that i must have hit.

Unless i'm assuming how tpu forums knows which post to scroll to wrongly?

6. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    afaik it remembers when you last visited and when you click gotonewpost it sends you to the first post newer than that date

7. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    hmm, odd. it was definately fixed by clearing my tpu cookies - i did notice however that it wasn't remembering that i'd viewed the threads that it was affecting (they didn't have the visited link formatting and appeared as if they were new links) - i didn't clear my internet history when i cleared my cookies so somehow it was due to the cookies.

Oh well if it happens again i'll look at what the cookies are doing to cause the problem, but it's the first time i've had this happen and it's easily fixed.