1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Automatic backup

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Sean8, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Sean8

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to setup automatic backup. In windows 7 I have it setup but it doesn't backup everything in that folder it backs up only stuff that was edited which causes confusion. Is there any easier way to automatically backup everything in a single folder to my external hd
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Forget using the automatic backup thing built into Windows, it sucks in my experience.

Instead use a Robocopy script and use task scheduler to automatically run it every night.

This is the script I use:

Code:
    robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /B /w:5 /r:5
    Save that to a bat file, then tell task manager to run it every night. That will back up everything in the folder nightly.

Obviously the source is your source directory, and the destination is your destination directory.

If you want to back up multiple directory, you can just keep adding lines to the same bat file and they will all run when it is executed.

So if you wanted to backup your user documents to a folder called Bakcup on the external drive F:, then it would look like:

Code:
    robocopy "C:\Users\username\My Documents" F:\Backup\ /MIR /B /w:5 /r:5
    And remember, when you are using a path that contains a space, you need to put the quotes around the path, if the path doesn't contain a space then don't put quotes around it.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
    Sean8, {JNT}Raptor and scaminatrix say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Sean8

Thanks Received:
    Hey thanks it works, but I had to run it as administrator. Will it backup with task scheduler? Or will the administrator have a problem.
  4. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I believe you have to tell task scheduler to "run with highest privileges".

It is a check box on the General Tab when you create a task, don't create a basic task, create a normal task.
  5. Sean8

Thanks Received:
    OOPs was using the other task scheduler got it all working now awesome
  6. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    So tick the thanks button and give the man some credit...nice post newtekie1. :)
  7. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    if it wasnt an external secondary drive, i would say setup a raid 1 on it, it backs up your entire drive and gives you nearly double read speed. now if there was a way to setup a raid without reading from the external, and only writing to it, that would be quite benifical in terms of backup
  8. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    RAID is NOT backup!

Raid protects against hardware failures only. If you delete something you weren't supposed to on a Raid 1 array, it's gone. You can't go back and get it from the 'backup'.
  9. capalbo New Member

Thanks Received:
    RAID as a backup??? Your OS corrupts and you're still still fckd up!!!

Sean89 - you could consider Microsofy SyncToy (free).

Backup is a 2-pronged approach.

There is system backup / imaging that protects you against hardware failure or OS corruption. The Win 7 inbuilt backup is quite good at that. There are other products (more featured) such as Acronis - obviously not free.

However just a system backup is not enough. It's best to also have a file backup that will protect your user files (files you generate ex. documents) from deletion, overwriting, sudden corruption (MS excel anyone??) etc.

I use the Win 7 inbuilt backup for system state and Altaro Oops!Backup for file backup. Both products saved my ass a few times but it was the Oops!Backup product that i'm most thankful for!!! I work a lot with docs, photoshop, dreamweaver files etc and since I modify these files on a daily basis I always want to have the latest version of the files backed up - Altaro Oops!Backup Continuous Data Protection does that for me.

Acronis - http://www.acronis.com
    Altaro Oops!Backup - http://www.altaro.com
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    RAID is not a good substitute for a backup, as the others have mentioned. However, for home users RAID is certainly better than nothing, and if I was to recommend one solution for a home user it would be a RAID configuration. The reason being that most home users that come into my shop are usually dealing with a bad hard drive, I very rarely get home users coming into my shop complaining of data corruption or accidentally deleting a file. Not to mention most home users usually back up their data once, when they first buy the back up drive, then never do it again. They just don't think backing up their data is that important, until they loose it all from a failed hard drive...

I personally have a 3TB RAID5 array in my main system that is backed up once a day to a 3TB RAID0 array in another machine. I know some will probably say "backing up to RAID0 is stupid", but not really. The only issue with RAID0 is that the chances of data lose due to hardware failure is higher, but the RAID5 array already takes care of the hardware failure issue. The RAID0 array is there entirely for the "Oops I deleted 1.5GB worth of movies on accident!" moments, and yes I have done that and yes the backup did its job.