1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aware me on the new graphics cards and why it may be worth it to purchase one.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by rectifryer, Jun 21, 2012.

1. rectifryer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Let me start off by mentioning that I don't game in anything more than 1080p. I have a nice 50" I game on in my living room so I kinda treat my gaming pc as the HTPC as well. Its the setup I have listed under my avatar.

So far, I seem to be able to maintain atleast 45 fps in Metro 2033 or Crysis Warhead with both games maxxed out and AA set as high as I can. I realize this is because of the resolution I play in compared to some of you crazies lol.

Is there a point in upgrading from my current setup? I dont have any bugs in my setup and my 5850s are at stock clock so there are no issues with heat. Hell, I only have 4gb of ram. I just look around and see all the "all out" gamer setups with multiple flagship cards that are 2 generations later than mine. i can't help but think, whats the point if you don't game past 1080p? Are setups like that for 3 monitor setups?

TL;DR:

I dont think the gaming industry is making games that take advantage of video cards from 2 gens ago when played at 1080p, much less the new cards.
  2. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    If you're happy with your current performance don't upgrade.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. rectifryer New Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys just make me feel so insufficient!
  4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    You have to understand, this is just a fun hobby for some of us, it has nothing to do with gaming for some as well. Some just like to tinker with computers and benchmarking. Yes, odd, but hey if your rich whatevs.

Personally, when I built my first computer ever this past September it was one of the most fun experiences of my life, the trial and error, the research, the actual building, matching compnenets, finding the best deals. Lot of fun. Some may hate it, I have found a new hobby. Though, being so expensive, when I need my fix, I take apart my PC entirely, dust it out, and re-build it. :rockout:
    mog22wai, AlienIsGOD and Chewy say thanks.
  5. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    I agree. If your happy with your performance, don't upgrade.

I really want a 690 or a 7990 (if we ever get one) since I can't get 120 frames in some games, especially bf3 on ultra. I play on all low with fxaa to maintain 120 frames, but its just my preference and I'm sure people won't understand why. But there is no way in hell I'm paying a grand for graphics....
    Chewy says thanks.
  6. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Some people just like to have the greatest and the latest hardware to not feel inferior to the rest of the system specs and benchtests on TPU.

Currently the gaming industry is most likely not making games which hammer he performance of the latest systems for the most part and it is a good thing.

Not everyone wants to keep on upgrading to play the latest games at ultra with enjoyable frames.
  7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    As the saying goes "If it ain't broke..."
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  8. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have almost the same HW as you, Q6600 4GB 5850. I finally installed my water-block for my gpu but thats only because I've had it laying around for so long and did a water change/cleaning.

Really a 5850 is a great card. I dont think in your case you need to upgrade quite yet. If you do maybe you can do crossfire?

Edit: If your feeling an urge to upgrade, try getting an SSD on sale somewhere for your OS and a game or 2
  9. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    That rig is still great, remember most PC games nowadays are just shitty console ports, and your specs is much better than any consoles.

If you encounter performance issues, just drop the reso to 720p and you could still play smoothly.

Unless Xbox 720 or PS4, or any PC exclusive worth upgrading for come out(like Crysis was in 2007), Do not upgrade

From what Ive read you;re pretty satisfied, so do not upgrade yet, maybe upgrade your drive to SSD like Chewy said, or getting quality accessories like gaming keyboards and mice.