1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Awesome Campaign games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by exow2, May 3, 2010.

1. exow2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I'm looking for some really awesome games with jaw dropping campaigns. I'm into the kind of games like borderlands, Knights of the Old Republic..kinda all over the place. I don't want games with super super intense graphics but with my current system I can run Battlefield Bad company 2 on decent settings. So let me know your suggestions :).
  2. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    AC2! Mass Effect 1 & 2.
  3. burtram

burtram

Thanks Received:
    Dead Space
    Dark Messiah Might and Magic (not necessarily jaw dropping, but a lot of fun)
    Resident Evil 5
    the first F.E.A.R game
    Prey (also not really jaw dropping, but fun)
    Gears of War was pretty good too (on PC)

that's all i can think of at the moment.
  4. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    Just cause 2
  5. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    OMG no one said BIOSHOCK 1,2
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    BS 1 sure but BS2 is just BS :|.

Not 1st person games but what abotu Dragon Age + addons, Neverwinter Nights + Addons, Supreme Commander + FA, Arma 2, Company Of Hero's + 1st addon just to name a few.
  7. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    i like both bioshocks 1st one had a better story but 2nd had 2 hands
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Old but hella fun games:

Ground Control II: Operation Exodus
    Dungeon Keeper I & II
    StarTopia
    Evil Genius
    Populous: The Beginning
    Mafia
    BazookaJoe says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Dungeon Keeper I & II - WIN :)

Those old cranky games may not have had much in the way of graphics, but SOMUCH of fun to play...

How I miss them - I'm currently replaying Diablo 2 with a High Resolution patch, and latest updates, and it's AWESOME.

If you only played the original back in the day, RE-PLAY THAT GAME - Blizzard actually worked a lot on evolving it over the years, and have added a LOT of improvement to the skill system, amongst other things.

They STILL in their stubborn retarded ass-nes never patched the max resolution but there's plenty of great 3'rd party patches than can fix that :)

Edit : Diablo 1 was also a BRILLIANT game - and the "Hellfire" add-on was also a lot of fun - but its interface is a little difficult to back-adapt to once you are used to modern games - still well worth the patience if you can find it, a really good game in its own time.

SUPER EDIT : Anyone looking to play older games on newer systems or OS's should look at running them in Virtual Machines, as its a great way to get them to run windowed without any issues.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Most games will only work on VM if it supports DirectX. Hyper-V doesn't and VM Ware has crude support.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    fallout 3?
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Was never a fan of DK although had a friend who liked it. But yes Populous and Mafia are great old games too and feels some what a crime to forget them.

Mafia i tried on this system about a year ago and worked perfectly and thinking about it scond one is due later this year too which gives me a warm fussy feeling.
  13. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    This is blasphemy, how and why hasn't anyone recommended the Half Life saga? ;)
  14. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:

By campaign you seem to mean RPG games.

IMO, by far the best RPG games are those done by Piranha Bytes:

Gothic
    Gothic 2
    Risen

Both the Gothic games are pretty old and you would have to do a few ini file tweaks to get them running properly on a modern system. Risen however is very recent with stunning graphics to boot.

Since you mentioned KoTOR, a game similar in style to this would be The Witcher. I found both games to be 'so-so' but if you really enjoyed KoTOR, then you will probs love The Witcher.

Borderlands, I found to be incredibly boring and repetative. But if the whole wastelands RPG shooter thing appeals to you, then Fallout 3 might be for you. This game received vast critical acclaim but again, I could only describe it as being decent enough when you get into it (can take up to 10 hours!!) and nothing more than that.

But overall, the most atmospheric, immersive, and fun to play RPG around at the moment is Risen.....by a country mile.
  15. Dazzeerr

Dazzeerr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Half-Life 2 and episodes
    Bioshock 1 & 2
  16. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    I play just about ALL my old games in VMware. Either A win XP vm for Old DirectX support - or a win98 VM - and in combination's also running DosBox on either.

I just find things work a little more stable-like running in clean VM's with no anti virus or firewall or other nonsense. PLUS windowed mode on all titles :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    I second HL2, i'm also suggesting crysis as I found the single player campaign to be serious fun and i've completeled it several times. I think it's the game i've completed the most amount of times.
  18. HeroPrinny

HeroPrinny New Member

Thanks Received:
    no mention of dragon age?
  19. js01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most of the Silent Hill series have good campaigns in them, Silent Hill 2 was probably my favorite it's a bit dated now but still a great game.
  20. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Neverwinter Nights has one of the best campaigns ever. Shame though that Knights of the Old Republic basically simplified the stories for the 2 expansions (Bioware focused on KotOR instead of the NWN expansions). For Neverwinter Nights 2 the reverse is true. The original campaign is so-so (in terms of story, but it really felt epic regardless) while the expansions were better and felt more epic (except for Mysteries of Westgate).

Also good call on Diablo II, still a good game to play considering the recent updates made on the game.

For some RTS then maybe the first Red Alert, plus Counterstrike and Aftermath. It's free iirc.

For NWN and NWN2, check out mods as well. I recommend you make your way to NWNVault and find the great mods there. There's an NWN2 remake of Icewind Dale (I have it up to chapter 1), but it's bugged for me. I don't know if they've fixed it already. If you can, try getting your hands on Icewind Dale itself and the Baldur's Gate games.

Want some magical-steampunk RPG? Try Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.
    DonInKansas says thanks.
  21. John Phoenix New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I think of campaign mode in games i think of single player with good storylines or plots.. or at least something that holds your attention.

Under that definition may I recommend - ( Don't slay me) - ZORK !

It's a win win. Plays under any system, is loads of fun, challenging and you can get it Free online many places.

Seriously.. if you never played a good text adventure game you are really missing out. I cut my teeth on Zork many years ago and I still play it. In fact you can find all of the old Infocom games online. There are tons of good free text games to be found. I have a collection of 1.50 gigs of these tiny games.

I think a kid, young or old should have to play a few text games before they can play graphical games. There should be a law.

Gothic was already said.. 2 and 3 are my picks cus you can do first person. Also Deus Ex and Arx Fatalis. - all the Thief games.
  22. Stak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just Cause 2 ftw:rockout: even the helis dont control like shit

ah rpg... borderlands...two worlds is buggy but fun...mass effect series seems to be good but didnt impress me.
  23. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Mass Effect 1
    Mass Effect 2
    Half-Life 2 and the Episodes (Play with the Cinematic Mod 10)
    Dragon Age

And if you don't mind dated graphics:
    Baldur's Gate
    Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
    Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
    Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal

And yes, there's an obvious pattern here, all of those except for HL2 are from Bioware :rockout:

EDIT:
    And also, get X-Wing Alliance, install the upgraded graphics packs, then install the Total Conversion that makes XWA into TiE Fighter with the Balance of Power expansion. That thing is one of the best games of all time, hands down.
  24. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seriously, it should have been the first post. What about Unreal as well?

If you also want to mention RPGs Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines is a great game. You also can't forget about Planescape Torrment and Fallout.
  25. kbozz71 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Witcher.