1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

B/S/T Bumping Oh my!

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by erocker, Apr 1, 2012.

?

Do you find excessive bumping of B/S/T threads annoying/distracting/etc?

1. Yes

61 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. Other

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    lol My undies werent in a bunch, they're kinda bunched now, but they werent then. :cool:

I can't speak for Jr but he did seem to misunderstand what i was saying so i gave him a :toast:

Anyways good bye thread :)

2. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    To me... Whenever I sell, I can sell or not.. It doesn't matter.. yes, when I go to someone else's I may bump if I feel they have a sell that others should look at...

Now, for the bumping, it can at times be sad due to the fact that the forum looks like a TPU Craigslist.... But, if I wanted to see whats really going on.. I hit the "new posts" button and all my troubles are gone away..

Meh... Me personally I feel the seller should be the only one that uses the thread.. IMHO

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  3. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    Why do you have all of those white splotches all over your screen:D

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  4. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    No probz here man ;) Your post's didn't hurt me but i did sense some hostility but anyways, ALL GRAVY :pimp:

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  5. DaC

DaC

Thanks Received:
    And we shall have peace now! :toast:

6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    We know it isn't meant to be malicious by most of the people who do it, as I said to popswala earlier in the thread. But IT IS pissing people off, and now that you know it, it WILL be DISRESPECTFUL to do it excessively. If this problem continues, then mods might have to add rules to prevent this so that the leniency of today's rules aren't abused.

Just because you have good intentions towards a few people, doesn't mean you can inadvertently screw everyone else :ohwell: And for everyone that has seen this thread, it would actually be purposely screwing everyone else

It is democratic in a sense, but ultimately, W1zzard and the mods make the decisions, and noone voted who they would be. It is only democratic because without members the site goes to shit, so they do listen to their users, but if they feel like changing the color of the forum to pink and noone likes it, they can keep it pink. Just like how just because a King and his advisers listen to the people, doesn't make it a democracy, it's still a Kingdom

I think we can still continue this thread in a respectful fashion and have a discussion, so I encourage you to keep posting your thoughts :p

7. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    After floating around various hardware forums for a few years, active mostly here on TPU, and seeing various practices and participating in some with regards to B/S/T forums, I think TPU's rules are good, but have had the loop holes exploited perhaps. Now like erocker, I'm not trying condemn any one, but if all the recent threads are FS threads, then yes, it is excessive. I've definitely done it myself, and have asked friends the past to bump my threads the same day I did, just at a different time. In hind sight, I'd rather get bumps from other users making a useful comment on something I am selling, or toward a positive experience had doing business with me, rather than a friendly bump. Additionally, now that I've thought about it, putting "yhpm" or "ygpm" is a odd thing to do, considering the design of the site's PM system. The suggestions made by Kreij and hat on the first page I like to, locking the threads so only OPs can post, eliminating any useless conversation that can happen in a thread, and move all relevant inquires to PMs, and the 2 per day. mrw1986 makes a good point too about it raising post counts. I wanted to hit that 5k post count mark and get the custom name when I was really active on the site, but I wouldn't be surprised if 40+% of my current posts came out that sub forum, and this post is probably more substantial than any of the non-BST threads. Probably seen this on a couple forums, but some people even ask you to bump his/her thread if they look in it, and I would rather not get a friendly bump, or ask for one, if you're not going to buy something. No offense to any one, but it would suck to have a thread with 1002 bumps in 1003 posts.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    ThE_MaD_ShOt and n-ster say thanks.
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    TPU has never, ever been a democracy. It always has been a dictatorship, just with a nice dictator.

TeXBill, erocker, ThE_MaD_ShOt and 2 others say thanks.
  9. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    There's plenty of poll results like these that would back up that statement.

10. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    :D

It's a dictatorship in the sense that we can not chose the admin but it does operate democratically :p But it is all semantics anyways so back to regular schedule/s :)

11. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Make it a rule and do 24 hours. Same day bumps are still happening and annoying... but not because it clutters up the recent posts. Its just annoying. I'll be happy to name names if it isnt obvious who is whoring BUMPS. :p

EDIT: Here is the logic... The thread starter cant do it, so why can someone else RANDOMLY bump it within the same time period? I can see inquiries, but random bumps should be 24 hours to match OP bumps.

"My lovely lady lumps. CHECK IT OUT!"

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  12. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Well, if it's 24hrs btwn each bump, what if a friend comes in for a friendly bump, but the OP wanted to bump with some specific information to add to the thread (which its subscribers may be interested in, and would probably not check the OP every time)?

13. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Op adds his information via edit.. sans bump. People need to butt out of others threads is my take. :)

14. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    If we go that route (that nobody bumps but the OP), then that's fine. I'm saying those who are subscribed to popular FS threads aren't going to notice changes in the OP unless there's a post stating what's been changed. For that reason, I disagree with other peoples' bumps counting along with OP bumps as a collective 1/24hr rule.

15. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Sure they will...whenever the op bumps his own thread and people stay out of others threads. Your argument solidified it fir me actually. People need to stay out of others fs threadsfor that reason too!

16. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Ok? And for those that have questions that they don't mind having public?

17. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Legitimate questions (and answers) on an item or items have always been allowed, and are not considered the seller's 24hr. bump.
    Please note, though, that FS threads are not meant to be discussion threads and any questions should be directly related to the item(s) for sale, not for discussing the merits (or lack) of an item.

D007, EarthDog and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  18. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Does this have to keep being dredged up every so often? I mean really, people can obviously read seeing as they can post. Quite simple if you ask me.

USE PMs! Thats the rules and thats what they're there for. Heatware is for seller/buyer "competency" hence it's requirement in the title posts.

YES. I am a grumpy grump grump :cool:

19. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    U kind of offered a solution right there.. Limit the amount of bumps per thread within a certain time frame maybe?

20. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Now that BST posts no longer show up on the front page, I don't even pay attention to them anymore... unless I'm going there to look for something specific.

Has it come down to folks in a pig pile on that forum? The one with the most bumps wins (or sells)?

21. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Seems like the entire BST has slowed down, maybe its related.

Bo$$ says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    The traffic is so slow threads actually get more attention than on a forum like Anandtech where threads are bumped so frequently that it's almost an impossible feat to find anything. I mostly just sell on Anandtech since the search function is absolutely useless. On TPU I just scroll through the first few pages and call it quits since I know that there aren't anymore active threads buried 10 pages in. It's slow, but I sold more here in 3 days than I did on Anandtech in weeks.