1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Back again

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by sakai4eva, Jan 16, 2013.

1. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm back here again.

Looking at my specs, the last advice I got was to upgrade with an SSD for the best bang in buck. Which it did.

Anyway, I'm trying to plan for the year ahead, so if anyone would kindly take a look at my specs and recommend some minor upgrades to be able to continue gaming in 2013 at 1080p with moderate eye-candy and respectable framerates.

Main problem would be the mobo, which I didn't have the foresight to switch to AM3+ when I had the chance (and hence be doomed forevermore). My RAM might be failing already as the comp has been having some pretty random reboots.

So, fire away!
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Figure what causing your random reboots

Then double your ram
  3. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    Any suggestions on how to check? I suspect the RAM but there's no way to confirm as the PC just reboots and gives an error address. I'd be willing to plop down on another 8GBs of RAM anyway so should I just start from there?
  4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Run memtest 86. If your not sure how just ask

Also when it reboots there will be a code. Its in the event log. Check it
  5. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    Will do it once I get home. Thanks for the advice.
  6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    whats your point? speed or multi tasking or better gaming or something maybe
    so far it looks OK although not the new but i guess it can handle current apps pretty well, but maybe some memory if you do multi tasking

Attached Files:

7. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    My point? I mentioned that in the OP. Maybe I can clarify further:

I'd like to play 2013 games at 1080p. While I can clearly see that having 4 puny GBs of RAM is not entirely ideal, I would like to know if I have to kickstart my upgrade cycle, and which part of it I should upgrade first.

Some of the problems that I am facing is that if I run big strategy games like Civ 5 on a huge map, there is a tendency for the comp to be bogged down. I would say that the bottleneck is the CPU (or RAM, but since I'm already confirmed to be buying that I'm less concerned), but how much of that is true, I have no idea.

TL;DR - upgrade?