1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Backing up files

Discussion in 'General Software' started by bobesko, Mar 8, 2011.

1. bobesko New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have Windows 7 and I backed up my files on an external hdd and created an image of my entire system. I bought a new hdd so what should I do in order to use this backup image. So do I have to install a new copy of Windows on my new hdd or just load the image when computer starts without having to install a new copy of windows? And what about the licence? If I use the image with the new hdd I think I will loose the licence or no?
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    if you made a image of the C:\ drive partition then you should just be able to use your software to take the image and image it you new HD. also if your not changing main hardware so i would doubt you would loose your license and if you do just call MS
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. bobesko New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I dont have to install a new copy of Windows I just connect the external hdd to my pc and boot the pc with empty new hdd and then from the menu select "load image" from my external hdd and thats it?
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yes it should work like that and it will load the image onto the new harddrive
    bobesko says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU