1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Backlit gaming keyboard - or a mechanical

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Octopuss, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I'm in the process of looking for decent but not overpriced gaming or "gaming" keyboard. Not interested in mechanical, and also no need for a ton of special keys (which might or might not useful, though).
    What it absolutely must have is backlight, large left shift, and large enter (the middle size is acceptable too, but not the small one). I also need it to have czech characters on it, but for the purpose of this thread it's irrelevant and I'd check on that later.
    I managed to find some (very few...) stuff, but there are no useful reviews and no long-term experiences available either, so it's a bit difficult to make the right choice.

Anyone has an opinion about:
    Genius Manticore
    Genius KB-G265
    Zalman ZM-K400G
    ?

Of course, any tips are welcome. Maximum I'm willing to pay for a damn keyboard is about €50.

2. Syntaxzy New Member

Thanks Received:
    The TTesports Challenger ultimate gaming keyboard is nice... I am using now and its amazing... There are over 250 different colors. The price would cost you around $100 on amazon including shipping.

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Corsair K70 in that price range? Great keyboard, I'm really liking mine. :)

HammerON and RCoon say thanks.
  4. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Oh that's a mechanical, no way in hell. I'm not touching that crap with 10 meters long pole!
    Besides, it's more thant twice as expensive as the maximum I'm willing to pay. I'm retarded to not waste that much on a damn keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    what about ARMAGGEDDON Sentinel KAI-9 or CORSAIR Raptor K30

6. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Roccat Isku?
    My favourite non-mechanical keyboard is my Dell QuietKey hybrid keyboard from the 1980/90's. I'm typing on it right now.

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, cool. I never thought you were "retarded" to begin with. Good luck with your search.

8. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I didn't imply you thought that.

Now to address the rest of the replies:
    Roccat makes fine hardware, but their keyboards have short Shift key (at least the czech version does, WTF...). Too bad.

I also tend to stay away from brands noone ever heard of. No idea what Armageddon or Tesports is, but I don't intend to find out.

I ended up buying Genius Manticore for a test and returned it the same day. Those side macro keys are horrible, I couldn't even press Alt+Tab. The font on the keys is retarded, they are really weirdly and uncomfortably sized, and the whole thing is simply overpriced as hell.
    Then I bought the KB-G265 which I am typing on right now, and am considering returning it as well. It's not bad, keys are of the size I am used to, it feels sturdy enough, but:
    - the legs are too short and you basically type on flat keyboard which is not exactly awesome
    - the backglight is pretty lousy, and the upper side of keys is not lit properly, and this gets even worse with the angle (it's basically the worst from the moment you place it on a table)
    - the keys are a little quieter than my original keyboard, but produce a weird sound (space is a bit worse), and sometimes they don't move as smoothly as I expect them, and that's probably the deal breaker here.

Basically, I find it difficult to justify 2,5x higher price (€25 vs €9) by having backlit keys and USB hub when the original keyboard (Chicony 2971, probably the cheapest and the most simple keyboard ever) feels more or less the same.

I never thought buying keyboard would be so difficult.

P.S. Please don't recommend me anything if you can't even be bothered reading the first post!!! I specifically said I don't want small Enter key, for example.

9. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It isn't, you are :laugh:
    As for the keyboard layout, I suppose it will be very hard to recommend, as we're all used to UK/US layouts, and on the UK one the enter keys are full size, as are the shift keys. Honestly, WASD make excellent keyboards for picky people, however they are quite expensive.

AsRock and erocker say thanks.
  10. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    But I DO want full or large size Enter and Shift! The touble is there are multiple variables, and manufacturers love to fuck it all up.

11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i guess you need custom keyboard, every keyboard has + and -
    you may not get 100% like what you want, sometimes you need to compromise with some aspect.
    suggestion is kinda tend to subjective, now return to you

12. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Yea I know, but basically large or full sized Enter and Shift aren't that unreasonable requirements.
    Of course, the lack of regional variants from some manufacturers make the matter even worse. Guess I am basically screwed.

13. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Could you not buy a uk keyboard and just use the czech layout?

14. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    I use the Genius KB-G255. It's not the best thing in the world but is was 20 euros.
    [​IMG]
    The blue LED's are annoying in the night.

15. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I don't think so. I still haven't managed to memorize the special chars keys in 20 years, lol.

16. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Let's change the topic slightly.

I was told there were companies that make custom keycaps for mechanical keyboards for end users.
    That would mean I could buy a keyboard with english layout and simply have keys with czech characters made.

Any recommendations for a mechanical keyboard in the €70-€90 range, with large left shift and enter keys? Like STEELSeries 6Gv2 for example (the enter key doesn't have to be _that_ big).

17. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
  18. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, something like that, only not as expensive. For this I'd have to find a local company if I don't want to pay half the keyboard's worth extra.

19. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Just tried the praised Steelseries 6Gv2 and in 10 minutes packed it back in its box in disgust.
    The damn thing is like 3mm taller than anything I've seen, making typing or gaming really unpleasant for the wrists.
    It slides on a table like a ninja despite having rather large rubber pads on the bottom.

I've also realized black switches are totally not for me. I am not a 40kg emo looser who can barely raise his hands to cut himself, but within 2 minutes of trying to play a game my fingers hurt like a fucker.
    I also think the linear switches are not very good.

Any ideas what to try next? Let's stick to mechanicals.
    No need for backlight.
    No need for czech layout, I can buy stickers (or possibly have the caps made).
    Long left shift is still required.
    Price range: under €90 (because it would most probably be over 100 in this shit country)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  20. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    I like my Razer Black Widow...first mechanical keyboard and I really like how it types. The backlight is nice to have too, I do like that. Has a set of macro keys on the side, 5 total I think. I don't use the software though because it conflicts with my headset software..stupid Logitech/Razer and Razer software is kinda garbage.

21. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    your hate for mechanical keyboards seems to be out of place. Have you ever actually typed on one?

You will understand in time.

22. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
  23. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    FFS did you even read my last post?!

24. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    OMG i am totally surprised that anyone is trying to help you sheesh.

Anyways Razers BW is nice to use although as some one else said the software sucks ( there is a offline mode for it too ).

Guitarrassdeamor says thanks.
  25. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Yeah? Ignoring posts is really helpful, I agree, I should be grateful for getting answers for something I didn't ask. What the hell? (I edit-highlighted the relevant part of my latest post which was completely ignored)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014