1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Backup Windows Vista

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Fusion, May 1, 2007.

1. Fusion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys

Earlier today I was asking around about a new laptop. I have decided to hold off and wait until my current laptop finally dies, so that I can afford to buy a nice shiny one, and an 8800GTS 640mb for my PC :D

Anyway I have a new 80gb hdd on the way for the laptop, and wondered if anyone had any recomendations how I could transfer the hole hdd from the old one to the new one. I don't have a DVD-RW drive in my lappy, but network is an option (leave it running overnight :D) as I have a DVD-RW in my main computer. I have used 9GB of my 20 GB hdd, as this is a fresh install, and only has a few of the programs on it.

I am running Vista Ultimate 32x on both the desktop and laptop, and XP Home on another older computer.

Thanks as always :respect:

Fusion

---

Edit: If I use the builtin Windows Backup feature, and transfer the backup files to DVD, would I be able to restore them to the new HDD, without installing windows on it? ie. make some sort of a boot disk?

Last edited: May 1, 2007