1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad ATI 9800 pro

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by scuba_steve70, Feb 15, 2006.

1. scuba_steve70 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think Ihave a dead video card. It is a sapphire 9800 pro. ATI Silencer and ram sinks.
    It is almost 3 years old.
    I came home the other day and turned on my computer. The computer had no video. It did sound like the hard drive was spinning. There were no beeps codes.

I took out all expansion card disconnected all drives except hard drive and still no video. Tried one stick on memory in each slot and still no video.
    I tested the power supply with and ATX power supply tester and it checked out. I also used a digital multimeter to test the power supply by back probing the ATX connector that goes to the motherboard.
    I also tired a IDE hard drive. Still no video
    I then hooked up an ATI rage 128 pro and the computer booted with no problems.
    I tried the 9800 pro again and still no video.

Before the all this I was having problems installing parts of the drivers i.e. CCC driver.
    Are these 2 incidents related or just coincidence?

These are my system specs

AMD Athlon xp M-2600
    Abit NF7-S
    1 Gig corsair XMS DDR400
    250 gig Maxtor SATA
    Plextor DVD Burnner
    250 MB Zip Drive
    Samsung Floppy
    Antec Power supply 450 watts 2.0
    ATI 9800 pro
    Trutle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
    Hauppauge PVR
    Rails are 5 volt = 5.02
    12 volt = 12.43
    3.3 volt = 3.32

All taken with a digital mulitmeter

Everest Home
    5 volts = 4.85
    12 volts = 12.10
    3.3 volts = 3.22

2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like it's dead, I doubt there is much you can do. Maybe try putting the suspect card in another computer? Or search around the card and see if there is any physical damage in the off chance you can fix it. A friend of mine was having trouble installing the latest ATI drivers as well. I doubt the driver trouble is related to your card dying, but it's possible.

3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    lol that reminds me how I almost lost my 9800SE (modded to pro :D), with Ramsinks/VGA silencer. I was putting in a second hard drive, and it was kinda cramped. I bumped into the video card at least once with the new hard drive. I thought nothing of it and booted into windows just fine. As I was formatting the drive, the screen was suddenly ARTIFACT CITY. you heard me right...a normal windows environment. ARTIFACTED. BIG BARS ACROSS THE SCREEN. I removed the ramsinks, with some improvement. but then the artifacts came back, and I knew it wasnt that. after cleaning the memory and parts of the PCB with Q-tips and Nail polish remover (hey, if it can remove heatsink paste, it can remove a short, right?). That also worked...for a while. my little brother bumping into the case brought back the artifact bars. the artifacts were getting more and more stubborn (card reseating didnt fix it anymore), and I was resorting to jiggling the card while the machine was on. So far, I have VGA silencer in, no Ramsinks (which causes 3D glitches, but its alot better then glitched windows environment). I'm lucky to get the thing stable for more then a day! right now it seems stable, but I'm not going to test that, because of all the trouble I have go through trying to fix the card. so yeah...*saves for X850*