1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad bios and bricked my gpu

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by artanis, Dec 13, 2012.

1. artanis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bad Bios Flash Need Sapphire HD4670 1gb Bios!

hi. i using 1gb sapphire hd4670 and i was have some problem with card and i flashed similiar rom with atiwinflash. then my gpu bricked, card shows bad moving colors when boot.

[​IMG]

i have ex38-ds4 crossfire board. i using atiflash with my old card and its working. i flashing 4670 with other similiar bios. but no luck, card already showing that bad bios on gpu-z and when i boot pc the bios screen appears after stays on the black screen. i try flashing 3 smiliar bios but everything same

note: i forgot to save my old bios but on database bios's all the same
    sorry my english thnx for the help

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I hate to sound harsh (actually I don't), but flashing the BIOS is a last resort if you have problems. Seriously, there are often no reasons at all to flash GPU BIOSes. We have lots and LOTS of people coming here saying they bricked their card because they did something they shouldn't have.

With that said, which card is it? Model number would be great.

3. artanis New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have sapphire 1GB DDR3 128BIT 750/873M dual dvi model:100256L not new edition
    11X-DE101SA-006 this is the same bios version with my card but not working when flashing it

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  4. artanis New Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone have same model for share bios? dual dvi sapphire 1gb hd4670 ddr3 this model on photo

[​IMG]

5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Hate to say it but Frick is right. Unless there was something wrong with the card there is no reason why you should have been flashing the BIOS. You always run that chance that you will brick the GPU. What can happen is even if the GPU is the same, the different vendor might use different memory modules that use different timings and voltages.

All in all, if you can flash the old BIOS back and it is still broken, there is very little you can do. Your stunt probably caused the issues you're having now.

With all of that said, I am curious: Why were you flashing the BIOS and what were you thinking of achieving because any google search will tell you to not do it unless you must and that there really is no reason to flash a 4670.

All in all this is a general rule that works really well with BIOS flashing: If it isn't broken is, don't try to fix it!

...and if you are going to "fix it", at least make a backup. :(

6. artanis New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was have too much issues when playing flash videos i take vpu recover or stuck on the black screen and sensors shows wrong temp and sometimes bluescreen caused by atiumdag and more when changing resolution or using alt tab stucked on black screen 10-15 second. i cant find solution and trying to flash but failed :)

7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You should have asked us first. That sounds like video drivers TBH. I used to have issues with flash video on both my 6870s and my old 4850 and a driver update fixed it but that was some time ago. I don't know about temps though, could be driver, could be old software, or the temps could be correct (unless it's reading something like -127*C).

AKA: Upgrade your drivers first. You have 12.6 installed according to your driver version in GPU-Z, give something newer a try, like 12.10. First thing is first though, you need the old BIOS before it really does muck up your GPU.

8. artanis New Member

Thanks Received:
    then no chance with other smiliar bios? only need bios of cardself

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Maybe one that has the same manufacturer for the vram, but it's a gamble. It might work, it might not.

artanis says thanks.
  10. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    you will need the bios for that card creat a usb boot disk with ati flash and flash this 'empty rom'...DO NOT REBOOT .... then flash the correct rom to the card ....should work .....if not post a pic of the screen from the " i " command in atiflash mabe the shot will show some info that will help

BababooeyHTJ says thanks.
  11. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    I the exact same card but with 512mb ram in my pentium rig,would that help?

artanis says thanks.
  12. artanis New Member

Thanks Received:
    i flash with empity rom and try to flash with smiliar roms but it says no adapter found. then i reboot :eek: now when trying atiflash it says 'write fail unknown spi'. atiwinflash says 'error reading from rom' card finished i think but gpu-z changed a bit :D

[​IMG]

13. artanis New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for help but i have 1gb version

14. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  15. artanis New Member

Thanks Received:
  16. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    BababooeyHTJ says thanks.
  17. Hellraiser1981 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does RaBIT still work on these newer cards?? You could set timings manually. Get the datasheet for the ramchips.