1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Bios Flash!!!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Darren, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got an Asus M2V motherboard and I attempted to flash in windows using ASUS's flashing utility, I've never had problems flashing it before. But this morning when attempting to flash to version M2V2101 it failed. Now every time I open the Asus Utility I gen an error saying "cant find current bios" and it locks up.:banghead:

I need an alternative windows flashing application compatible with this motherboard urgently. I'm afraid to restart my computer in case I've corrupted the old bios and it refuses to boot. Thanks.

Edit: I've since solved the problem, thanks again everyone

Perhaps, but I dont have the disc, bought the motherboard over a year ago
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
    philbrown23 says thanks.
  2. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    dude get a floppy drive and make a bootable disk and just boot from the disk
    Darren says thanks.
  3. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok. I've already backed up the bios onto removable media just in case. But what if the motherboard refuses to boot completely due to the bad flash. Wouldn't I be better off sorting it in windows? I really don't want to restart the computer and end up with a dead board:confused:
  4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried reseting the bios?
    Darren says thanks.
  5. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't tried anything that involves restarting/turning the computer off. I'm actually on TPU from the badly flashed motherboard.

I'm just going to restart my PC, if the motherboards dead I'll just buy another one. (not that I have the money)
  6. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Luckily the bios recovery console kicked in when I restarted,it searched for a bootable floppy disk drive, USB device, and CD. But unfortunately the USB ports were dead so I couldn't do an immediate flash. I hunted around in my garage and found an old Celeron computer and stole the floppy drive and flashed to previous driver. Good old floppy. But I was just lucky the board wasn't completely dead and that Asus were sensible enough to equip the board with recovery features.

Anyways for the people that tried to help me, thank you, for the people who read this but didn't help or show concern be very ashamed of yourselves.
  7. w2richwood New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can also put your installion disk in and boot to that it has your orginal bios on it just press alt + f2 on boot
    Rich
    Darren says thanks.
  8. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    in the future you should never flash anything in windows. boot into the command line system and execute from there. i know you said you havnt had a problem before but i bet windows is blamed for almost all bad flashes.
    Darren says thanks.
  9. w2richwood New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep 99% of them
    Rich
  10. w2richwood New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes they do alt + f2 on boot but if the bios is dead it wont work
    Rich