1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Bios flash

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Rurouni Strife, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Rurouni Strife New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,
    I was flashing my bios to try and fix a keyboard oddity that I've been having. Also, I like to keep my system up to date. Anyway, I used the AMI winflash utility. It erased all but 2 rows of the bios and then started to reprogram. After the first two or 3 rows, my computer decided to restart. I have been 100% stable so far so this was a suprise. I did not post or anything. So I've looked up online what to do to try to recover. I've removed the bios battery and am planning to let my PC sit for half an hr or so (till I get back from running). After that, I was going to reintall it and then either hold insert or f2. I saw online that this may help. Do any of you guys have any ideas outside of RMA'ing? (thats my obvious last option).
    Thanks!

-problems resolved. never doing OS level bios flashing again.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  2. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had this happen to me but my board had a removable bios chip. If your board does you can find someone online to flash it (I paid 15$ bucks shipped for a new chip), but I can't find the guy who did it for me anymore. That is your best bet, just look online I am sure you can find some etailer who specialize in this. A small boutique type PC store might be able to do this but I doubt you could find someone at a Best Buy or Circuit Ciy to do it.

Edit: Glad to see it worked out for you. Dos Flashing is usually ideal but not all OS flashing goes haywire. Maybe this info can help someone else.
  3. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    noneed4me2 says thanks.
  4. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. w2richwood New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. Rurouni Strife New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, i think the reason I did the flash from windows is that my old Mobo wouldn't run the dos flash utility from a USB stick. This one does. Much to my happiness too.