1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Boys of Case Modding Clubhouse..

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by MKmods, Apr 1, 2008.

1. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    3991vhtes says thanks.
  2. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can haz 120mm fans?

ygpm :)
    MKmods says thanks.
  3. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice! Too bad I don't have any money ATM. :(
  4. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I used to work at a boat builder shop run by my Ex brother-inlaw we used a process where we would sandwich foam board with lite fiberglass he still holds the copy right for the name FoamCore and even though he and my sister are long since divorced were still friends.
    Anyway this stuff is awesome 1/4 inch thick 12 x 12 inch piece will hold me between cinder blocks without bending and is lite as heck. It can be made in almost any shape and gell coated in any color. I will need to see if he is interested or at least let me build a box. It could take some time but I have been meaning to do it for awhile. So many things though size shape color cooling and I suck at cad. Any ideas??
    MKmods says thanks.
  5. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    had a thought today, a project I intend to get to within the next month or so (along with some of my other existing projects :p) -

Considering I have a stacker, I intend to make an air duct for the GPUs that will run from the front of the case to the back, with a fan at the front to help move cooler air to the cards - the duct itself will encase the cards, and help keep radiant heat from affecting overall ambient temps, while also providing a source of cool air for the cards unaffected by surrounding components

I'll prob use fiberglass - make a template from cardboard and wrap it. We'll see, currently trying to plan it out, and what issues I might run into or need to address.
    MKmods says thanks.
  6. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    for a first try start as simple as possible. Just a box with as few add on things. (most times I dont use even the power/hdd LEDs or reset switch to keep wires to a min.

I have been using 4 5/5" diam plastic tubing for quite a while for cooling tubes, its $$$. It will be really nice to see how you do it, as it would be really nice to be able to make any size/shape tube for a change
  7. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    For those LED's, I generally route them behind and under the motherboard
    MKmods says thanks.
  8. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    I would love to join because I have had the same old case for my third computer for 5 years!

It was nice and flashy when I bought it but now it needs to be modded and repaired. I wanna pimp my case. :pimp:
    MKmods says thanks.
  9. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Welcome...

OK who is gonna be close to SanJose Calif August 25-27? I am planning to bring a special new designed case to show off to Nvidia
    http://www.nvision2008.com/

It would be really nice to get a few from TPU to hang out.
  10. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Sorry MK. I am going to Florida in June or July. Then going back that week. I would have loved to join you though!
  11. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm in vt but man that would be sweet!
  12. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Time for a road trip, stop by my place in Nevada and we will go on to Calif..
  13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Once I'm done working through my health problems, I'm deffinitely taking a road trip out west. I used to do it every year! Anyways, I'm having a hard time finding black modders mesh atm (the circular kind, not honeycomb), any ideas?:D
  14. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    just get the regular kind and spray paint it!

edit: nice to see your got your internet...mine is still faster hehe jk
  15. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I get mine from MNPCTech.com or onlinemetals.com.

Hope the health thing gets better, I struggled with it for quite a while.
    DanishDevil and erocker say thanks.
  16. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did I forget to say I would like to join in here? Most of my mods are simple removeing things cable management paint lights,and I want to do so much more and this seems to be what I need to get me going. I wish I had pictures of my toolbox build I had when I was still a technician but I traded it in for a bigger tool box and never switched to my bigg ass tool box
    which is in storage. It was cool and functional but had a 15 inch crt on the side that was ugly but a celron 2.0ghz on a 478 board ran cool enough in the bottom draw to with stand shop temps in the 90's f during Houston summers and all cords were behind the draws. That was the only true mod as far as the box I ever did. I feel like this is more than just that though right? sign me up if it is:laugh:
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  17. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Im a little slow you need to speak up... Welcome strick94u
  18. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
    what about an MK vs Cyberdruid challenge?
  19. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like fun. :rockout:

What I am hoping to do this year is help modding along.

Here are a few ideas I have, please let me know what you would add or if you DISLIKE something..

I would like to see modding improve from its current state. Judging is a sore point with me, how do you let someone with a small amount of skills judge a contest?
    Modding uses many different skill sets, Machining, Painting, Artistry/Design, Engineering, Metal work, Wood Work, Plastic work. Judges should be expert in all those fields.

I realize the benefit to sponsors but sponsors should not have influence in the contest. I was in a mod contest once where a sponsor actually won the contest:rolleyes:

I dont like one company having free reign over all others, contests should be open to all. Having an Intel (example) only contest eliminates all the AMD guys who ALSO have kick butt mods.

Another pet peeve of mine is there needs to be classes, there is not a lot of incentive for someone thats 16, has no job, goes to school and has a limited assortment of tools to compete with someone that has had 30 years experience, sponsors and a complete shop at his disposal.

Modding should help/guide everyone to want to improve their skills.

One thing I learned from Vector and the gang at PDXLAN is "Community Rules". There is nothing funner than getting together with a bunch of friends that share common interests.

Another hope would to have a yearly contest between forums, pitting 1 against another. The modding can be shared between everyone in the forum (one wiring, some painting, etc... Everyone sharing ideas)

Imagine how cool those mods would be.
    intel igent says thanks.
  20. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe something (if it doesn't already exist) like the best-looking mod award, the best-cooling award, the best price/performance ratio award (10$ mods:D) and so on.

could be an idea
    MKmods says thanks.
  21. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Good ideas as well, also I want the contest to include our friends in other parts of the world. I have seen pretty cool stuff from Europe, and Africa.
    The internet has made us all connected and there is no reason we all shouldent participate.
  22. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    The thing that I've noticed about modding, is that most contests just have an open target for the best overall mod. Judges can easily be swayed based on their particular tastes. I think Having a solid theme that all contestants need apply to would help keep the judges on an even keel, as it would have a bunch of similar cases each tweaked to perfection on the modders talent level.

Limiting the different materials to work with would help even out the discrepancy in budgets as well. Say a sponsor like MNPCtech.com wants in on the deal, they could give all the participants a 20% off deal, and raw materials for the case would be limited to materials purchased from them. Everyone has the same stuff to work with, the mods should be more fair.

I totally agree with different modding classes though. Having different tiers by experience seems like it'd work well. Just have to show some body of work to get seeded in the contest at hand. Breaking it into 4 tiers would sum things up rather well I think.

-n00b modder (16-20yo, first time modders, limited funds/tools)
    -budget modder (18-25yo, some body of work 2-5 cases, ghetto modding)
    -experienced modder (20yo+, larger body of work 5+ cases, disposable income, REAL tools)
    -The ModFathers club (guys who do mods that make you :eek::twitch::respect:)
    MKmods says thanks.
  23. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Not really a mod MK but just wanted to share.

Got my Scythe Ninja today from nflesher!!
    [​IMG]
    MKmods says thanks.
  24. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    those are Excellent ideas for classes.

A few themes could be, ugliest, most efficient, recycled, smallest gamer etc

How do you like the cooler Jr? (looks nice.) Also what speakers are you using? I am curious to know how you like that OB sound card.
  25. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to take a bath in that Case, its so BIG. Mind if I come over and swim in it?

take the fan grill off that exhaust, no need for it inside the case...:D
    JrRacinFan and MKmods say thanks.