1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Boys of Case Modding Clubhouse..

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by MKmods, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, not bad at all!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of trash I cobbled together a rig from whatever I could find out in the shop...and I trashed the whole place opening boxes and drawers and bins...now I got some cleaning to do :p

But I did get together a stout little over clocker...booted at 4.5Ghz yesterday :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has already started to morph...eventually it will turn into a proper PC in a box...but for now it's all spread out so I can screw with it more easily.
  3. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    (FIH) The Don says thanks.
  4. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:

I think it would be a "different" build to have. I'd like to see it once it's done.

Now, how about a "raven02" chassis with "cosmos" feet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have better pictures come tomorrow night.. When I'm home and with my camera... Should of done the flash :banghead:
    MT Alex, erixx and CyberDruid say thanks.
  5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

I like it, going to spray them black?

Also I think it will be interesting too, but I don't want to invest in it only to find I have to cut out most of it :laugh:

More pictures here if anyone wants to take a gander and let me know what they think I'll need to do http://www.evercase.co.uk/WT-01L.htm

Looks like I'll have to move the HDD bays in order to fit an extra 1-2 120mm fans.
  6. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, if I go with the "feet" then I'll spray it black.. I got two more things to "try" then I'll go with what I can... I got some "latches" and thinking of raising the back a bit..

Yeah, it is a expence to not know about.. All up to you man

:toast:
  7. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've decided to take some welding courses and get certified. Look out world.
    stinger608, Cold Storm and pantherx12 say thanks.
  8. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Fully custom cases?

I'm looking forward to this!
  9. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Cosmos Feet and Handles is BEST EVER period, should become a Standard like wheel size or spark plugs in cars : )
  10. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got a Cosmos in the shop in pieces. I can't bring myself to rob it of parts...

Welding is something you really need to know about if you have to work much with metal...you can only go so far with pop rivets. Sheet aluminum is easy to form...you can make things out of wood to form the metal...but sticking that metal together is the part I need to know about :D
  11. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I love the design and I think there was a "LOT" of ways they could develop some more in the lines of that for "feet"

I can't wait for the welding to start!

As for the Cosmos case.. Yeah... I was crying in side when I took the top two "handles" off to try that out... A lot more to come!

I might try and fabricate the "latching" of the side panel into the raven case also... I got a spare side panel from cooler Master since I bught their side panel with window.
  12. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    ok to post this here?

getting money in a few days, will be ordering yellow fluid, and some yellow sleeving,

[​IMG]
    CyberDruid says thanks.
  13. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    it will look awesome i think

could you try and get the end where the bars are close together a bit more apart and the other end a bit close, so its more even? hope you understand
  14. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Come on... Don't be like me and 5 months later your starting it again
    (FIH) The Don says thanks.
  15. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shhhhhh...I'm not supposed to show anyone this stuff

[​IMG]:twitch:
    (FIH) The Don and Cold Storm say thanks.
  16. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I likey CD!
  17. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's more like it...but I gotta keep it under wraps.
  18. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
  19. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I finally did something awesome for myself today. After I cleaned the shop I took and old Lian Li V1100 off the shelf. It was an abortion I bought from someone on OverClock. The only cool thing about the case was the side panel...which he had laser etched with a giant OCN flame and logo. Then he proceeded to BUTCHER the case...hideous. It was so bad that I just put the case up on a shelf about 3 years ago and left it there. Every time I started to mod it I was so disappointed with the options left to me that I stopped.

But this time I powered through. I routed out the lopsided holes to 120mm openings and put in some Lian Li mesh and I recut the bottom and put in some hex mesh and a blue filter.

The case was absolutely filthy...like a dog that had been sleeping in a dumpster. It took a lot of scouring with orange oil to get it looking normal.

One thing that was obvious was the 4 empty optical bays. Now I have never made myself a water fall reservoir. The damn things take a day to make. But I had an idea and looked through the scrap pile and after several hours I had a 3" deep 4 bay waterfall with a new style of fall that makes very little noise. The cement needed some time to cure. So I tidied up a bit. Not much...just enough to work on a PC.

I was satisfied the the case was not some hideous abortion anymore, so I hauled the weird tech platform thing down to the shop and drained it. Then I set about putting it into the cramped yet large Lian Li. It's that ridiculous two chamber design with no space between the panels and the chassis...makes cabling real simple...you can't hide it...just run it.

I dug up some 120mm fans for the blowhole and exhaust and a 140mm for the mesh vent in the side panel.

The pump is whiny so I decided I needed to make some sort of isolating base. I used the same 1/2" low restriction blue poly filter material I put over the hex mesh in the bottom and cut two squares of that and taped it to the pump base. Then I cut a square of neoprene foam and sprayed that with 3M adhesive and stuck the whole thing right slap in the middle of the upper chamber beside the water block.

The guy that butchered the case made sure to drill lots of 1" holes in the dividing panel and surprisingly two of them actually lined up with the rad down below.

Mounting the rad was too easy. I just set it on the blue filter material and called it good to go.

The HDD went onto a Scythe Antivibration mount and I slipped it right up in front of the rad on edge trapped between the divider and the floor. It was a snug fit.

Finally I returned to the res and cemented the face panel onto the body and let that cure while I fussed with various details like finding more fittings, more tube, much rooting through the shop for that stuff. Then I couldn't wait any longer. I filled up the res and powered the beast on with no peripherals...just the power cord off the PSU. Amazing to me everything lit up and fans started whirring and water flowing and I was very happy indeed.

I started at 10 AM and stopped at 1 AM the next day. A real modathon for sure.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I am beat.

The rig has a sound unlike any other rig I've built. It sounds very industrial. The sound from the blowhole is low and heavy like a ventilator on a factory. The water doesn't make that pissing sound in the res...it gurgles and chuckles. It's hard to describe...just a lot different than my other LCed rigs. So far I've got no problems...I love that.
    Chicken Patty and Cold Storm say thanks.
  20. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I finally did something awesome for myself today. After I cleaned the shop I took and old Lian Li V1100 off the shelf. It was an abortion I bought from someone on OverClock. The only cool thing about the case was the side panel...which he had laser etched with a giant OCN flame and logo. Then he proceeded to BUTCHER the case...hideous. It was so bad that I just put the case up on a shelf about 3 years ago and left it there. Every time I started to mod it I was so disappointed with the options left to me that I stopped.

But this time I powered through. I routed out the lopsided holes to 120mm openings and put in some Lian Li mesh and I recut the bottom and put in some hex mesh and a blue filter.

The case was absolutely filthy...like a dog that had been sleeping in a dumpster. It took a lot of scouring with orange oil to get it looking normal.

One thing that was obvious was the 4 empty optical bays. Now I have never made myself a water fall reservoir. The damn things take a day to make. But I had an idea and looked through the scrap pile and after several hours I had a 3" deep 4 bay waterfall with a new style of fall that makes very little noise. The cement needed some time to cure. So I tidied up a bit. Not much...just enough to work on a PC.

I was satisfied the the case was not some hideous abortion anymore, so I hauled the weird tech platform thing down to the shop and drained it. Then I set about putting it into the cramped yet large Lian Li. It's that ridiculous two chamber design with no space between the panels and the chassis...makes cabling real simple...you can't hide it...just run it.

I dug up some 120mm fans for the blowhole and exhaust and a 140mm for the mesh vent in the side panel.

The pump is whiny so I decided I needed to make some sort of isolating base. I used the same 1/2" low restriction blue poly filter material I put over the hex mesh in the bottom and cut two squares of that and taped it to the pump base. Then I cut a square of neoprene foam and sprayed that with 3M adhesive and stuck the whole thing right slap in the middle of the upper chamber beside the water block.

The guy that butchered the case made sure to drill lots of 1" holes in the dividing panel and surprisingly two of them actually lined up with the rad down below.

Mounting the rad was too easy. I just set it on the blue filter material and called it good to go.

The HDD went onto a Scythe Antivibration mount and I slipped it right up in front of the rad on edge trapped between the divider and the floor. It was a snug fit.

Finally I returned to the res and cemented the face panel onto the body and let that cure while I fussed with various details like finding more fittings, more tube, much rooting through the shop for that stuff. Then I couldn't wait any longer. I filled up the res and powered the beast on with no peripherals...just the power cord off the PSU. Amazing to me everything lit up and fans started whirring and water flowing and I was very happy indeed.

I started at 10 AM and stopped at 1 AM the next day. A real modathon for sure.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I am beat.

The rig has a sound unlike any other rig I've built. It sounds very industrial. The sound from the blowhole is low and heavy like a ventilator on a factory. The water doesn't make that pissing sound in the res...it gurgles and chuckles. It's hard to describe...just a lot different than my other LCed rigs. So far I've got no problems...I love that.
  21. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    the brown is that deposit or rust?
  22. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably oxidation.

[​IMG]
    Radical_Edward says thanks.
  23. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Nice job CD, awesome. :) Got any more pics?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
  25. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    CyberDruid says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU