1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad card, or something else?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Ditto1958, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Ditto1958 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a strange problem with the system I built 2 months ago. The problem is that it doesn't play well with Hulu.com. For some reason if I try to watch video at full screen from Hulu, with in 2 or 3 minutes my display shuts down. Just the display, not Windows. This doesn't seem to happen with anything else. I can watch dvd's on the system, and can watch streaming video from YouTube and anywhere else in the web.

Today, though, something else happened. I was playing around with Linux and decided to see what would happen if I watched something on Hulu while the system was running Mint 7. It seemed to run fine for a few minutes, but then the machine simply shut down. I tried to boot it up again, but it just shut down again immediately. Clearly it had overheated. I waited about 5 minutes and they it fired up fine. I did notice, though, that when it first re-started the air blowing out of the PSU was pretty warm.

Do you think this could simply be a heat problem? If so, though, what is it about the streaming video at Hulu.com that is making the machine get so hot?

2. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    dude i dont know if this is relevant but, when i first got my new lcd screen there was this 1 website [i forgot which] that would make the screen sorta shut down, if i minimized the screen it would come back but something on the display just killed it, firmware update fixed it

3. Ditto1958 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure this is an overheating problem. But which component? CPU or graphics card.

4. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Not the CPU, atleast. Get a monitor program (I use OCCT, which also doubles as a makeshift temperature monitor) and see how high your card gets.

But I don't think a streaming movie could overheat a graphics card, what do you have?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received: