1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Company 2... Lost connection to server

Discussion in 'Games' started by nv40pimp, May 18, 2011.

1. nv40pimp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I picked up BC2 on sale on steam a while back for like $6.49, loved it, played through the single player to get used to the controls then started to play online. I quit playing for a while and now I'm back to it again...

The issue I run into on EVERY multiplayer match is that I can only play 5-20 min before I am forced out of the game with an error along the lines of "Lost connection to game server, please check your connection and try again" Or "Lost connection to EA" and then I have to log back in.:banghead:
    I also notice that every game I join my ping is always over 120, sometimes 150+.
    Ping Test and Speed Test both test good, 8mb+down 1.5mb+ up. Ping is around 20-40ms, no packet loss, low jitter 5-10ms.

Very aggravating when I'm doing well and then BAM game over plz try again lol

I've been all over the net trying to find a solution
    -Opening ports on router/modem did not help
    -I've heard of putting the machine in the DMZ but I'm not sure I want to do that
    -Punkbuster updates

I've got an upgrade on the way (i5 2500k, p67 mobo, 8gb of g.skill) and I don't want to have to fight this crap to enjoy an awesome game.

Any help/tips/idea would be greatly appreciated.:respect:

2. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    The ping part is really not an issue, due to two reasons:
    1) the game is perfectly playable as long as your ping is under 250-300 ms
    2) the game is actually not displaying the correct ping :p it is actually somewhat lower than the number displayed

As for disconnecting during play, three things come to mind:
    1) router issues (friend had this problem, and only in BC2, not in other games... after playing with router options his problems went away)
    2) ISP issues (forced reconnect or some such... does this happen in any other game?)
    3) game problem? try a google search and/or visit EA forums and/or visit BC2 support page?

I do hope your problem gets fixed so you can enjoy the great multiplayer BC2 has to offer :) Good luck

3. nv40pimp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the input

The router is... questionable, it does have problems connecting to wireless often (however I'm hard wired) It is setup with port forwarding for the ports I've found various places online but still didn't help.
    No other games have issue online. SC2 never has problems and Counterstrike works flawlessly. So I have my doubts about the router having any issues.
    I've been all over the net and read about many many people having the same problem. None with a reliable fix :(

4. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry to hear that :(
    Try sending EA/DICE Support an e-mail?

5. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    firewall could be restricting your network access the game is getting while in multi, if you have a firewall make a exception for the bc2.exe on it and see if that fixes the problem

6. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    not just bc2, but also all the punkbuster executables.

7. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Sorry man, thought it was a simple punkbuster update fix, but I read the OP again and saw that you have tried that.

8. blu3flannel

blu3flannel

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem when I first got BC2. I disabled UPnP in my router settings and it hasn't bothered me since. Try that, hopefully it will work.

Last edited: May 19, 2011