1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Flash HD 6870

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by nona, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Doomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    you need to boot from a disk with a functional gpu so you can see whats going wrong with the flash

2. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have only one PCI-e slot. What will I do with second GPU??

3. Doomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    find a old PCI video card and use that or take your gpu to a friends or a shop and have them reflash it

4. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    It means it may work with other motherboard. I baught a PCI VGA card but unfortunately it was not showing any display because it have only 8mb VRAM.

5. Doomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    do this
    pull the 6870 out
    and clean the cmos it won't boot with the other card untill do you do this!!!

boot the machine with either the onboard video or the pci card
    go into the bios and set the display priority to either the PCI card or the onboard video ALSO REQUIRED it will not work unless you change the display adapter priority to something else(look for a setting labeled video device priority or display boot device or something similar )

reboot and shutdown
    re-install the 6870 leave the video cable connected to the on board chip/pci card

boot from a usb key cdrom or something that has a dos prompt and a RECENT copy of atiflash
    run atiflash -i find the 6870's number
    then to flash run
    atiflash # -p biosfilename.bin
    reboot clear the cmos again and remove the pci card/switch the cable over to the 6870 and pray
    #=the number of the gpu listed when you did atiflash -i

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  6. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    put the usb stick to boot up first

then reboot with the 6870 hooked up to the screen and for it to boot with the pci-e wait a few mins so it can load the usb

atiflash -f -p 0 xxx.rom xxx

then enter

wait like about 5mins then press the power button then predd it it again see if it boots up with video

why wont a blind flash work ? i did it on my 7970 the other day cuz i flashed a 7970 light bios and not the ref one

so idk where you got you need another gpu to flash a card

7. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is what I did

Installed PCI VGA and when motherboard's bios came up I went in there and selected the option to use PCI VGA for primary display port. Then power down the PC and remove the monitor's cord from motherboard's video port and pluged it into PCI VGA and started the PC but nothing showed up. Shopkeeper told me that it is 8 MB VGA thats why it is not showing display. I did not clear the CMOS while using PCI VGA. Please tell me at what stage I should have cleared the CMOS??
    I was also planning to take it to computer shop.

8. Doomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    shop keeper is a idiot and is trying to scam you
    8MB is PLENTY for a dos console 8MB is plenty to run windows even :banghead:
    if you can boot with the on board video thats fine use that that will work to boot from a DOS-usb key with a copy of ATI FLASH
    this needs to be done FROM A DOS DISK NOT FROM WINDOWS

9. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    will changing the jumper clear the CMOS??? I am going to try this now so please be with me I will reply in 5 min.

10. Doomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    let me get this strait
    you can boot with the video connected to the onboard video AND the 6870 is still installed to a PCIE slot correct ?
    then use the on-board video and don't bother with the card at all
    and yes setting the jumper and waiting 15 seconds will clear the cmos I wold do this anyway before and after you flash

11. Doomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    either way what you need is to beable to boot and get a picture WITH the 6870 installed it doesn't need to be hooked up to a monitor just needs to be installed and have power once you can do that then you can make a dos bootable usb key and run atiflash and reflash the original bios

12. Doomy New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I am going to do this. I will be back in 5 min.

14. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried the method step by step you told me but no luck. And the bios saved by using GPU-Z is good one because one week ago I used this bios(which I saved using GPU-z) to flashe my GPU and it worked perfectly. But that time atiflash was reconizing my gpu so it was easy but this time it is not recognizing this GPU. I tried you method twice so it took much time sorry for that.:shadedshu

15. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can not understand why it is happening, as I am reading on internet for three days that people flashed their GPU in a weird way(Like flashing 4850 with 6850 and like) and their PC was not booting with the dead GPU installed but still they were capable of recovering but here in my case I have display, PC is booting fine with dead GPU connected and still can not recover?????????

16. Doomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    playing around with the pins might have fried it
    atiflash -i doesn't list anything ?
    if you forcably flashed the bios then you might have killed the recovery block built into the bios
    so you have a 200 dollor paper weight nice ... what have we learned
    now the only option is to have the bios reprogrammed with a flasher and someone brave enough to attempt to remove the bios chip flash it and reattach it .. pretty much impossible now adays

17. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    atiflash -i show adapter not found . but when I hadn't touch the pins, atiflash was unable recognizing gpu. nothing is changed.

18. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    i will send it to repair and i will bear all coast. and if doesn't get repaired I am not gonna purchase another one for one year, that way I think I will learn something.

19. Doomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    most motherboards and gpus have a reserved part of the bios thats there to do one thing and thats make sure the the flash-logic can be initiated even if the rest of the card won't boot this is the boot block and every card is a little different normally when you flash the bios with atiflash -p this is left alone but if there is a check-sum fail and you force the flash sometimes this gets erased and you end up with a card that can not be re-flashed though software or probly at all I can't find any pinouts for that chip so you are SOL sorry

20. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok friend, lets see what happens. And thanks for trying to help me out. I am leaving now. Thanks again.

21. nona New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a set of 8 pins on the back of GPU. Some numbers are written on it and I found a datasheet for its number.

22. Doomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    well then post it lol

23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    if the card is fried, might aswell get a 7770 then. and this time dont flash them! hard lesson learned indeed

24. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for your predicament. I just wanted to give you best wishes , I am not sufficiently informed to really help you, but I know you will find the help.

25. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Like hell you will. Blind flash the GPU ans stop listening to this guy.

These are the correct steps for a blind flash. I highly doubt you did anything shorting pins on the EEPROM. You can straight up hold power to ground on the EEPROM and it wont do anything to a corrupt BIOS.

DOM says thanks.