1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Flash HD 6870

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by nona, Nov 2, 2012.

1. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, if I bork a card by fudging with the bios, I eat that as a loss. That is not covered under warranty (perhaps EVGA classifieds does?) and I'm not the type of person to lie (you say omit, but you are lieing by not disclosing all of the correct information) about it and defraud a company to get a free card when my actions broke it.

You all carry on, but that IS fraud. ;)

Also, my morality doesnt have a number as low a any videocard. Now... millions... I cant say I wouldnt flinch, LOL!

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I don't either. In fact I flashed the wrong BIOS to a MSI motherboard board several years ago and MSI was more than happy to repair the board for me after a new BIOS chip (which they provided) didn't work.

I'm also cautious enough to not mess with a GPU BIOS unless something doesn't work right or if the manufacturer provides a BIOS update. I'm just saying that if they really want it repaired, you don't announce that you voided the warranty. It certainly isn't my own view.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Nothing wrong with full disclosure!!!

4. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering about that halo I was seeing above your head. When is your investuture?

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry every companies rma policy is different. but if they said the card isn't physically damaged they may reprogram it for you if they can revive it after you shorted two signal pins together. If they can't get the card to take the original bios they will replace the board. so for yo Nona it is imperitive to write down your make and model and part number and serial number so when you get a board back you can verify if you got the original back or a new one.

6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I believe the op said he would pay to fix the card. He did offer full disclosure so let's stop crapping his thread.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its because a lot of companies will just label that as "user broke the card, no replacement"

even if they provided the BIOS updates and the instructions to do so, they'll just claim its your fault.

os2wiz and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  8. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Well I will digress after this so cdwall doesnt blow a gasket and suddenly turn more moderator green....:p

Im just frankly not sure that makes it right. If they allowed bios editing thats a different story, but if one is lieing to get what they borked fixed for free, thats simply fraud (well aware that is not the OP - I didnt quote him in the first place).

@ oswiss - No halo here buddy...thats for sure. But I wont defraud a company by lieing like was mentioned above either. ;)

Ok, Im done.. (though you are welcome to split this thread to its own topic Mussells?)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if they would let us pay to repair the card, most of us would take that option.

if a $500 video card dies because of a bad BIOS flash, and the only options are buy a new one or lie...

10. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    This is where we agree to disagree I think. :toast:

Thats the chance you take... its part of being a bencher or someone who takes that risk of flashing a bios for little/no reason. If tech support blesses it, go for it. But to try it on your own to have 24/7 clocks, or more voltage or... reasons not covered, yeah, I eat that. :eek:

As far as pay to repair.. agree there!

11. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    You are so right .pragmatically it is wise to play dumb and not mention what happened. If they are not astute enough to pick up on user-caused damage that is their issue. So many time vendors will not honor their moral obligation to the customer.

12. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Do you also think, pragmatically, that it is wise for a cashier to short change you and pocket the cash? I mean if you are not astute enough to pick up they are doing that you, its not illegal or anything, so they should continue doing it.. :p

os2wiz says thanks.
  13. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    This is going to far afield and I am not looking to get into a second war with you or anybody else.

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I guess youre not:confused: