1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad flashing. 6870

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by alegalati, Aug 30, 2012.

1. alegalati New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive searched a lot before posting here but i couldnt find answers (Actually i did but they didnt work).
    After trying to change de bios of my xfx 6870 dual fan, so i could unlock voltage, i got the black screen..
    I did blind flash, didnt work.
    I manage to put the 1 priority to the mobo onboard videocard and i could flash again with my backup.rom that ive created.
    Even then after that i can get no signal from my gpu, fans r at full speed, i got the latest drivers and nothin..

bios already default, drivers updated no response.. Is the gpu dead becouse of a bios flashing attempt? Help!?!?!?!

(not native english speaker)
    Thx a lot.
  2. solara2xb

Thanks Received:
    If it was a bad flash you might have bricked your card.
    I've seen this happen to some ppl that didn't flash it properly.
  3. alegalati New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thx for the reply! after hours and hours doing stuff. Heres what i did

Tried blind flash: failed;
    tried dos/98 flash: failed

Thats what worked for me.. I set the priority on bios to startup using the mobo onboard videocard, than i was able to flash via winflash.. Reboot.. on bios changed the priority again to pci-e and it worked!

Tough ive lost it!
    thx!
    (not native english speaker)
    Law-II says thanks.
  4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Did you remember to uninstall the vga cards drivers before flashing the vga bios - follow this guide by erocker to uninstall - http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52502

flash again

then reinstall drivers

nb: what bios did you try to flash? or did you edit the HD6870 bios?

atb (all the best)

Law-II
  5. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    cant you put its original bios back on, i have as you say brick flashed a card,yet been able to recover it with its original bios,force flashed back onto it, i allways had/have a second (crap) gfx card to use as the main one attached to a monitor so that the flashed card is not in use and device 2:)

Also the software SAPHIRE TRIXX will adjust most AMD/Ati graphics cards beyond there limits ,all ive tried.
  6. solara2xb

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes if you do a bad flash and the card is bricked you can't do anything about it.
    I've seen this happen so many times so ppls that try to flash the card but didn't do research before hand.

it sucks that it happens but thats the risk of flashing the bios to modify settings.
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    A bad BIOS might initially work, but all it takes is using the wrong signaling voltage to muck up the hardware itself. I accidentally did this to a motherboard. There were two versions of the motherboard I had from MSI. The 975x Platinum and 975x Platinum Power-up which looked exactly the same with the same specs, but one BIOS was a little smaller than the other. I flashed the wrong BIOS and bricked the board. MSI even sent me a BIOS chip with the right BIOS on it and it still didn't work.