1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Motherboard or 4930k overclocker?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Paladone, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I apologize in advance because I already have a couple similar posts to this but I am getting seriously fed up.

I don't have an awful lot of experience with overclocking, but I have spent countless hours trying to over clock my 4930k. While some ocs have worked sporadically, after what has literally been dozens of hours, I have been completely unable to over clock my 4930k and of top of that, my ram won't run set it's intended speed and none of the left dimm slots on my mobo even work. I recently bought this as rock motherboard a couple weeks ago to replace my 2 yr old broken asus maximums and ever since, I have had nothing but trouble with it.

I do not know if I am doing anything wrong in terms of overclocking, I have just been adjusting the CPU ratio and core voltage and LLC, how ever, I have also attempted to adjust other voltage settings and core current limit etc.

There is one thing I do however know, and that is that I will without a doubt, not be buying any similar as rock products any time soon. It feels like too many issues for the motherboard to just be faulty. Back to Asus it is then I guess.

I do really appreciate all of the help you have all given me because I have so many issue with this motherboard and would not have solely been able to solve any of the.

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My previous ASRock board also broke, as such I have zero faith in any of their products, and the motherboard I had felt pretty cheap and poorly made. Replace your mobo man, it's shown nothing but trouble for you lately.

OC'ing to an average clock speed is literally as easy as adjusting multi and adding a few .05 volts. LLC can help.

Paladone says thanks.
  3. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    It seems to be stable at 4,2 on stock voltage but won't stabilise at all above 4.2, from 1.20v all the way up to 1.50v

4. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Ouch, Intel processors don't need 1.5v unless you're doing seriously extreme overclocking. As a point of reference i managed 4.4 on 1.3v on a 3570K.

5. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    O
    On my old asus motherboard with no overclocking experience I managed to run my 3770k at 4.9ghz, 1.30v and it took me 15 minutes to do, ran it like that for a year and a half.

RCoon says thanks.
  6. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I got a bad overclocker, you got a good one, it seems :laugh: your motherboard is a toaster

Paladone says thanks.
  7. True Christian

True Christian

Thanks Received:
    This is why I stick to Asus mobos. They are of the best quality and have the best feature set for overclocking the CPU and RAM.

Paladone says thanks.
  8. Eroticus

Eroticus

Thanks Received:
    Rampage IV Black Edition

9. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt really say that. Gigabyte boards are up there too, especially if you are good with tweaking and playing with settings, since their BIOSs are setup pretty loosely, when it comes to settings.

10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    not many people with SKT2011 systems here to help you, unfortunately. OH, what's that? I have 3960X and 4960X, in multiples?

Oh, right!

It's not your board.

IVB-E chips are this way, but let's see if we can't push you a bit further. Please list full system specs and upload BIOS screenshots of clock, voltage, and memory timings options from your BIOS, and maybe you and I can get somewhere rather than just saying "buy new stuff, I got other chips for other platforms, and they work great!". :rolleyes:

Not like you've ever used one...you simply talk to me too much. :p

Go check the 5000-post thread on OCN for that board. Same problems. I had two of those, now just have one. Typing from it now.

It's not his board causing his issues.

MxPhenom 216 and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  11. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Indeed ol' man!

12. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    I can't help you with settings, I have never messed with socket 2011.

But I can say this. Not all of asrock stuff is junk. I have a z77 oc formula, and it is beast. Could be you got a bad board. It happens with all brands.

I have heard that asrock's tech support sucks. So if you can return it to where you bought it. That will be much easier than dealing with RMA.