1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad news for Nvidia

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Black Panther, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 I'm sure Nvidia will buy their way out of it

2. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia will be ok, they have over 65% of the open market share +- a few points. They have nice cash reserves from when they ruled the gfx market. ATI is the company that is clawing their way back into the market. Right now ATI is top dog but Nvidia will be fine. They know what they are doing they have been doing this type of thing for a few years. :toast:

3. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    for heavens sake, there is no more ATI as a company only a brand name, in this case ATI is referred to as AMD.

4. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Well yeah that's true, AMD CPU + GPU brands = ~3/5 NVIDIA.

5. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    the problem was intel, it screwed amd and intel got lucky with that little 1.2 billion they lost while amd is still in the red from it, amd is a bigger company(with more revenue and assets) than nvidia but intel scewed everything up.

6. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is unlikely this will change much, but if it really drags on, nvidia will be in major trouble. Remember, the market share includes the large number of old cards that they haven't made money from in a few years.

At this moment in time, AMD is beating them around the head with a HUGE stick, and this potential delay to the fermi cards is not going to be helping matters. Also, they do have money reserves, but they may have wanted to use them as a buffer, since amd will likely drive prices of the hd5xxx series down quite a margin in march/april.

AMD also finally got some compensation of intel, too, to the tune of $1.6bn, so AMD are actually doing quite well at the moment financially :)

Also, AMD are still moving on with the fusion processor research, which is bound to kick Larrabee in the balls if LRB ever comes out (AMD know how to make gpu's, whereas intel seemingly don't). So i'd imagine they'll be back in the game for top performance in 2 years. Aside from the fact their athlon X4 cpu's sell for less than £70 and are fantastic value for the performance.

The major problem for nvidia that i can see, that if gpu/cpu hybrids from intel and amd become extremley popular (and they are bound to with the budget and mainstream), nvidia just can't compete with that, since they don't have their own cpu's. They could try and make one, ofc, but it's hard just to jump into a cpu market from gpu and vice versa.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received: