1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad performance in Half-Life 1.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Derek12, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    In HL1 with my video card, framerrate is very "rough" (like a slightly variable lower FPS) constantly along the gameplay, HOWEVER with the weaker onboard Intel HD it's smooth as butter. In fact, more modern games like Bioshock Infinite, TF2, HL2, Unigine Heaven/Valley and more work better with the GT 520 as expected.

How it's possible?
    Using 320.18 driver.

Thanks

EDIT: In fraps, with the 520 I get 30 FPS, with Intel I get 70 FPS :rockout:

Many thanks, I will try the 314.22 then :).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Derek12 says thanks.
  3. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    It's the same with 314.22. :-( but I have it fixed

Changing the rendering to OpenGL instead of D3D (DirectX?) in HL.

I am still curious to know why does D3D mode have such low performance in my 520 compared to Intel HD inside of my Celeron CPU, though.

4. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    OpenGL is better any way.

5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'm surprised the GT 520 doesn't have enough power to run it smoothly on DX, as it's a modern card, so even though low end, it's similar to a high end card from a decade ago.

I'm not surprised that OGL runs better, since DX is a framerate hog. I discovered this years ago. I had a 6200 AGP graphics card and the framerate more than doubled with OGL. We're talking something like 30fps to 70fps+, the difference was that marked.

EDIT: I have a GT 520, so I'll give this a go and let you know.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    Derek12 says thanks.
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    OpenGL for HL1 has been the best setting since the game came out. That was the first game I stayed up all night to purchase at wal-mart when it was released and my mom almost made me go to rehab cause of. I think when CS was introduced I gained 80 pounds.

AlienIsGOD, Derek12 and qubit say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's because G-Man is a poor choice for a Role Model!

8. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Damn, what a great story! :laugh:

9. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Many thanks
    Yeah, seems that OGL is more efficient than DX in many aspects in any card.

But how come a weaker integrated Intel HD outperforms a dedicated GT520 both in D3D mode? They have the same settings all over. May be some weird compatibility issue? Are new cards except Intel made to work better with new DX? Is my card somewhat malfunctioning?
    Watch the videos please :) (Seems that the recording or uploading made the intel video more choppy but it's really smooth
    Intel HD in D3D / GT520 in OGL.

GT 520 in D3D.

Yeah I stayed all day yesterday it's addicting :D (I just started it now)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  10. qubit

Thanks Received:
    It would seem that code optimization might perhaps be the reason why the Intel IGP runs better or compatibility issue as you said and it certainly looks a bit odd.

And yeah, HL1 might be 15 years old and the graphics are really dated, but it's still awesome. :D

Derek12 says thanks.
  11. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    might wanna check out Half Life: Source

same game but has had some aspects optimized. My guess is it would run better on todays hardware.

Derek12 says thanks.
  12. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    1, Half Life is running on a modified Quake engine which uses OpenGL only, so it's better to use that one. There are High definition packs out there on the web if you need fancy visuals.

2, Stay away from HL: Source, play Black Mesa if you want enhanced graphics (note: game can't be finished in that mod atm). Source ruins the movement (like in CS:S vs CS1.6) and also makes the AI dumber, so stick with the original version imo

3, It should fly 60fps in 1080p with just about anything you can find today (it's certainly does run fluid even on my slowest system which is horribly slow atom based ion-itx server, so the 520 should be enough)

Derek12 says thanks.
  13. Bluescreendeath New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or better yet, get Black Mesa Source - basically a full source remake of Half Life 1 with great graphics. (they've made everything except the Xen level)

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Black Mesa Trailer:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Derek12 says thanks.
  14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Naah, every single computer related thing that has come out since 2000 has more than enough oomph to play it properly, optimized or not. It's something else. Not that it matters if it works with the IGP and OpenGL.

15. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    original version isn't working for him right now, it's laggy. Black Mesa as you said isn't finished so unless he wants to wait another decade for them to get around to finishing it, I don't think that's really an option. Not to mention the ai was never good to begin with and you really must have been playing alot to notice a difference, most won't. I also have no idea what you mean by "ruins the movement" I will say cs 1.6 and cs:s being based on entirely different engines, run on different platforms, and designed by different people, couldn't possibly have the same exact issue.

16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, +1 to that. there's lots of horsepower there. I'm sitting here quite po-faced at what it could be. I reckon it's driver related somewhere along the line, though.

At a guess, nvidia haven't bothered to make their latest drivers work properly with such old games, because not as many people play them as the latest games. Don't quote me though, lol.

I've seen this first hand when nvidia switched from the Detonator to ForceWare brand for their drivers around a decade ago. My older games played with dreadful microstutter even though fraps showed a solid vsynced 60fps. The latest Detonator at the time played the games smooth as butter - and that was on a weak FX5200 with a mere 128MB RAM.

It took nvidia around two years to fix that and that's why I switched to ATI at the time, because they pissed me off so much over this.

@Derek12: have you tried installing the latest DirectX runtime? It provides fixes and upgrades to DX. Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/e...T.mc_id=MSCOM_EN_US_DLC_MODULE_131Z4ENUS22051

EDIT: the latest June 2010 runtime installer can also be downloaded directly from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Derek12 says thanks.
  17. Bluescreendeath New Member

Thanks Received:
    Black Mesa is basically finished (at least the best parts anyways, IMO). They released the first official version September 2012. The only levels that are unfinished are the Xen levels near the end. Those levels are coming out relatively soon too I believe.

18. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Many thanks to all!

@Qubit, I will try the DX runtime now and check. If not, then I will use OpenGL and forget about it, as the game runs fine in it. I am just curious about the D3D performance vs IGP :)

Yeah as I pointed, I can play more modern games in this computer with the GT 520 just fine (Half-Life 2, Bioshock infinite, Portal 2, Team Fortess 2, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, NFS Most Wanted, etc) some of them on bottom low settings of course so there wouldn't be a logical reason it can't run a 1998 game fine (on D3D) except, as Qubit said and I believe as well, this may be some weird compatibility issue, as OpenGL setting fixes it.

Maybe I will try some of the commented newer versions as well, especially if they bring up more modern graphics.

qubit says thanks.
  19. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    You are right, most probably won't notice a thing but why not go with the best possible and most authentic experience if it's possible? HL1 used a modified Quake engine and while I truly love source (I would probably pick it over Cryengine or any other popular one if I would need to design a game today), but still only id software can code a proper movement, others just trying hard as always....sadly.

however I just realized that the original HL1 movement have been patched (crippled) on Steam, so I highly recommend to go with a custom client: http://ngageclan.ucoz.ru/load/0-0-1-41-20

perhaps vsync=off?

20. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Create or edit the "userconfig.cfg" file and input the following code

fps_max 100
    net_graph 3
    net_graphpos 3
    sv_maxupdaterate 100
    rate 25000
    cl_dynamiccrosshair 0
    cl_cmdrate 95
    cl_updaterate 100
    hud_fastswitch 1

Derek12 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Thanks I don't have this file should I put it on the main program folder?

22. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Which version of HL1 does this relate to? Source or standard version?

Derek12 says thanks.
  23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Did you make sure to install all the older DirectX updates for that game? DirectX updates in layers, not just the latest build. Older games need the older DX updates, and if you don't have them, you can run into problems.

Derek12 says thanks.
  24. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    For you, I believe it will go in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life\valve" folder. Make sure you edit config.cfg and add this line of code at the very end

exec userconfig.cfg

It may, I have used it before without issues. source and HL1

Derek12 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Many thanks!

Perfect I will create it and check back HL now.

I've installed Directx 9 runtime though, or do you refer to Directx 8 or 7 (is that what HL1 uses right?