1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Performance

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by SeeK, Mar 31, 2006.

1. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey. I'm thinking there might be something wrong with my dear X1900XT. In Oblivion I get about 17 FPS in Imperial City. That's with everything on high with HDR. No AA, since it doesn't work with HDR. Now, I think that's quite low, even at those settings. This card costed $750, so I'd expect better performance than this.

I have not tweaked the game to look better. Quite the contrary. I have done changes in the .ini to make the game flow better without looking worse. It had a quetionable effect.

A friend of mine says he's got pretty much my system, except he's got a 7800GTX, which, as far as I know, is not as powerful as an X1900. He says the game flows great everywhere in the game.

This sucks. 17 FPS is too low. Of couse I get much better in caves and other indoor areas, but as soon as I go outside my FPS drops like crazy. If I'm lucky, I might have about 30. But if I turn around 180 degrees, the FPS will go down to about 5 until it recovers. This is VERY annoying.

Should I RMA my card?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    steps to take to fix lag- 1)Run spyware/virus check 2)Add fast RAM, lots of it 3)OC processor (aftermarket coolers might be necessary) 4) OC video card (aftermarket coolers might be necessary) 5)Get a WD Raptor or two . Happy Gaming!

3. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    um remember fps doesnt just take the gpu. whats ur cpu? how much ram do u have? what skt are u running?

4. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, there. I changed so you can see my specs now. As you can see, I've overclocked everything. And the memory is fast. And I have no spyware/adware/viruses. No Raptor though, but that usually doesn't have a very big impact on FPS.

5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    hmmm why arent you running dual channel on the ram? is that a 754 board?

6. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    why are you running 333mhz vs 400?

7. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    lol people the system specs drop downs are there for a reason.
    he's probably running 333 because he has 4x512 instead of 2x1GB
    no it's not a 754 board is the a8n32! hello 939, dual 16x sli lanes.

but 17 frames? my freind is running oblivion on an x1800xt with the same detail settings and he has 60+ frames and only a few stutters due t his slow cpu (3500 venice at stock)

something's up.
    what cats are your running? have you tried older cats? omega drivers perhaps?

next what os/sp, what bios version on your mobo, what chipset drivers version?

have you tried running the game with the cpu at stock? (sometimes games don't run wel on oced hardware).

8. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using 2x1GB sticks. And I never bothered checking into Dual Channel that much. And the reason I'm running them in 333 is because I can't run them in full 400 with the timings I want.

As for the Cat, I'm running 6.3. OS: XP Home SP2. Latest BIOS version (1103) and the latest chippies from nVidia, 6.85. And yeah, I've tried resetting everything to nominal settings, but that just made it worse.

So, is my GPU fried? 'Cause something seems amiss here. Like I said, you'd expect more from a GPU that expensive.

9. peta01

peta01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to benchmark it using 3D Mark 05.
    Try to "clear" your memory before running the game (close all unneccessary residental app.)

10. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    I get about 12000 in 05 and I have no particularly heavy apps running in the background while playing.

11. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I get about 12000 in 05.. he he he.. nothing wrong with your card then.. so that just leaves oblivion.. ??? and a "mystery"..

do u have any other high-end games..??

trog

12. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    12000 3Dmark05 on X800GTO2 MODDED??? holy crap!

13. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup, I've got FEAR as well... but that is so damn badly optimized. I get low FPS in that too.

Something seems wrong. Even if I get a normal 05-score, Oblivion should flow better than this. Hell, this is like the third or fourth most powerful card on the market! Any game should flow on top settings with this... at least that's what you'd want to believe.

14. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm well might as well give the ram a try and put it in 400mhz instead 333mhz. If that doesnt work well it might just be Oblivion becuase i get low fps on it too. Its just a very system intensive game.

15. peta01

peta01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    He has 400Mhz memory, but it is underclocked to be able to set faster mem timings->higher performance.

16. peta01

peta01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to make screenshots of your cards settings. There must be something wrong.

17. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Making and uploading screenshots is a pain in the ass. Instead I'll try to write what settings I have:

Desktop Area: 1280x1024
    Color Quality: 32-bit
    Refresh Rate: 75Hz
    Anti-Aliasing: Let the application decide (no Temporal AA activated)
    Anisotropic Filtering: Let the application decide (no HQ AF activated)
    Catalyst AI: Advanced
    Mipmap Detail Level: Quality (I've tried the lowest setting, no noticeable change)
    Wait for Vertical Refresh: Always Off
    Smartshader Effects: None
    Adaptive Anti-Aliasing: Off
    Direct3D Settings: Support DXT texture formats is enabled

That's all the settings that could have any effect.

18. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Surely thats a mistake??? 12000 3DMARKS!!!!!

EDIT: Sorry read the post wrong :) what a n00b :)

19. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    But, he says that he gets low fps in F.E.A.R. too. You are running the latest catalyst, right? Maybe you should uninstall and re-install Oblivion.

20. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Done that. I've re-installed Oblivion about four times. The Cat's been re-installed so many times I don't remember.

Another friend of mine's got a 7900GT. Besides that, he's got pretty much the same system I've got. Same CPU, equally fast RAM... but he gets twice the FPS I get on the same settings in Oblivion. I've seen screenshots, it's true. He gets about 70 FPS in forests.

21. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Possibly turn your AI level down to basic. It is just a CPU based culling for the z buffer and can cause some problems in certain games. Especially CPU limited and or OpenGL based games.

Next what clocks are you running, are you using CCC to OC the card, or possibly another solution?

10 Million points folded for TPU
  22. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so we still have a mystery.. super good 2005 score.. poor game performance.. if it scores well in 2005 it should score well in games.. games need more memory but thats the only difference..

in fact according to its 2005 score it should play every game thats out there with no problem at all..

trog

23. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    only just realised what oblivion is.. he he he.. the last one crippled my ati 9700 pro.. especially when that winged female thing appeared.. it turned out to be a bug with soft shadows and ati cards.. shame was i never found out about the "bug" till i had finished playing the bloody game..

try turning the odd effect off.. soft shadows first.. he he.. i would imagine this release would have fixed such things but u never know.. its bound to be buggy..

trog

24. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried disabling Catalyst AI. And yes, I am using CCC to clock. It seems ATI Tool isn't compatible with my card when overclocking. And I'm not sure I want to use anything else. I realize CCC loosens timings to get a higher frequency, but I really don't care.

25. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    It seems Oblivion just hates my GPU at the moment. The game just doesn't really support it very well. I'll just have to wait for a patch or something.