1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad power causing problems??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by overclocking101, Mar 21, 2011.

1. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    so I just got a new house march 1st. The top 2 floors (bedrooms) are all runn on one 15amp breaker instead of 2 like it is supposed to be. now because of this we have power outages if we use to much at once. I noticed when all the lights are on and both PC's are on my voltage readings drop from 12v etc etc to 11.5v 3.1v 4.5v would this cause my pc to have random shutdowns and need more vcore for the same cklocks as my last apartment?? its really frustratin before moving here I could do 4ghz 1.37v 24/7 wcg 100% stable. NOW I need at least 1.42v otherwise i get bsods randomly. would bad power cause this?? my psu is only 8 months old and is more then capable of handling my rig. specs are in specs.

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a similar situation here. I have gotten proven hardware that just takes way more voltage than the previous owner needed. I have run a shit ton of testing and the only thing I cant fix to test is the pure shit of the wiring in my house (renting). I think your theory is very plausible.

overclocking101 says thanks.
  3. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    we are renting to own, and the landlord is willing to pay for anything as long as I do the work myself, which is fine I been in the construction game a long time. but I dont want to cramp our family to rewire the upstars for just the pc sake, my wife would kill me lol. the voltage readings on my pc show up like im using a cheap ass bullshit psu but im not.

4. jjnissanpatfan

jjnissanpatfan

Thanks Received:
    Have either of you tried using a battery back up unit? To power the pc.

5. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    depends on the wiring. Here I have the older tube and knob that was transferred into a breaker box versus a fuse box. If the wiring wasn't tied directly to the walls I would simply do some wall fishing and make it work. I did live in a place that got rewired when I was younger. The electricians ran into the same issue, so to fix it, the main lines were run to the attic, then simply dropped down the wall and fished out of the outlets that were already in place. The old stuff was just left in the walls and disabled/disconnected.

To test the theory, see if you can run the PC with better results on another floor, or maybe in the kitchen, as it usually has a couple of lines supplying it.

@jjn...no sir I have not. I have had that recommendation before. I just ended up with an AX1200, and it corrected some of the issue, but there is still a very weak supply to my PSU:(

6. jjnissanpatfan

jjnissanpatfan

Thanks Received:
    I honestly think that is the easiest way to test... a decent one goes for 55$. Heck if does not work send it back. I honestly think it will work because from my understanding most of them work as AC filter also.

7. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1

During (rare) power outages I run one of the pc's at work using a car battery (which we remove from one of the cars) and a cheap 500W inverter bought from ebay. I had it running for 4 hours straight, obviously no gaming it's just integrated graphics and Q9400, 20" LCD, inkjet printer... When battery starts losing power the inverter starts beeping.

It's definitely cheaper to have a 1000W inverter and 2 car batteries (one on charge, one in use) than to re-wire the house...

8. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    While the UPC may correct the PSU issues, it wont correct the floors loss of power when the usage creeps too high again;)

Black Panther says thanks.
  9. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    is this old wire in the house or newer? what type 14/2, 12/2? if your running #12 you could replace the breaker with a 20A anything above 20 will require #10. erocker runs one of those UPC's an swears it helps his overclocks,its hard to say if thats just a placebo affect but you could try it and return it if its not helping :)

10. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    ill check up a back up but im gonna have to rewire, I'll probably do the upstairs with bigger wires and a 20Amp breaker. we have #12 now but whoever replaced the old wiring with it (i mean real old fabric wire on ceramic standoffs) he did it half assed and left half the old wiring and fixtures were they were which sucks because im going to have to test all of it to see if any of it is LIVE wires. and all stuff like that needs to be removed to pass code. but when he replaced it he ran 1 wire and ran everything off that for floor number 2 and 3 except the kitchen. so both floors will need fixing, ill probably have to wait for summer before doing anything major

11. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    You're not rewiring just for your computer. Be sure to tell the wife that it's a safety issue. Then run Cat6 throughout as well.

12. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

We need the cat6 or we will die :D

13. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    oh im wiring internet cable and power in one swoop 4 sure

14. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if this is dumb question, just throwing it out there. Did you try buying a Power Surge Outlet?

15. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    Be sure to test voltage in wall outlets before rewiring anything. modern PSU's can work in wide voltage range 90V - 260V I think. If it's worse than that then almost none of home apliances will work in your house anyway. You could try UPS, because they have voltage correction feature - they automatically regulates voltage output by switching to different secondary windings in their transformer. And also it's helpful in case of power outage.

16. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    :eek: so THIS could be the source of all my problems. I've sold CPU's that clocked well, only to find they clock better in someone else's rig.