1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad_pool_caller wtf!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by PyroInc, Sep 6, 2007.

1. PyroInc New Member

Thanks Received:
    sup fellas been gone for a bit but I'm back. Gotta problem here. I just installed vista the other day and bioshock along with it. Now every now and then My the blue screen of death comes up and says bad_pool_caller wtf!!. I'm overclocked right now but I was at the same OC running XP so I'm not sure if that's the problem.... any help?

2. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    try putting stuff back to stock and then try it out.

3. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    I believe thats a memory error. Try running the DOS version of memtest over nite and see if you get any errors.

4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It could be bad memory, But on the top of the list I would say bad driver or a driver conflict.
    Could be just "out of sync". Recomended method of finding the problem is to strip down to basics with one stick of ram and reboot, checking for the error. Then add components one at a time until error occurs. Once it occurs, remove/clean those drivers and reinstall them, attempt reboot. You can also use Vistaboot Pro to define the error. If using a combination of IDE and Sata (or dual boot)with vista, may also cause this problem with driver conflicts.

other things that can cause this;
    Bad USB driver/device. Hdd going bad.

XP link but info is the same for Vista;
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314492/en-us

:toast:

d44ve and woozers say thanks.
  5. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very informative post.

thanks

6. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    It could be your graphic drivers, the current Nvidia drivers are known to be buggy with bioshock, you'll need the beta ones to play it properly - the beta ones are v163.44

Sadly i'm experiencing total system hangs with these beta drivers (not even a BSOD, just total lock ups) but what can I say - Nvidia's drivers have be total balls for Vista for well... ever.

7. PyroInc New Member

Thanks Received:
    ..It is at stock the only thing that I have done update directx and what notand install bioshock.

did memor one at a time and still having problem, HD is brand new. I've diabled directx10 detail during gameplay and I can play for a while and then it crashes after about an hour wtf:banghead: I havn't gotten a game from the store in a long time just for this dam reason I feel like I paid for the beta version of the dam game arggggg anyways night fellas

8. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been working with another TPU member with same issue, It is most likley a driver issue/conflict with Vista and DX10. Problem was greatly reduced by switching to DX9 but problem did not go away. Currently we are prepairing to re-install Nvidea drivers and see what happens. Will let you know in a few minutes, and fill you in on what we have done and the results.

:toast:

Edit; it may take a while longer, other member had to do something else. As soon as I get more info I will pass it on.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  9. ShadowXP New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you post the error-codes and memory-addresses the BSOD gives you? They should be in an entry in the Eventlogs, and they're crucial in pinpointing the error. The culprit can be anything from the RAM to a driver-issue or even an issue with your harddrives/motherboard.

10. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    :(

Its not the game, it must be your hardware or drivers. I beat the game without a single crash. Dx10 shaders on @1920x1080 with 2x AA. I even left the game running for hours when I was at work or asleep.

11. PyroInc New Member

Thanks Received:
    man i wish I had the experience you had. I turned off directx9 detail and all is well for atleast an hour or two then CRASH!! whatever atleast it's something right :banghead: last time i buy a game:mad: I'll try and post the error codes tonight thanks for all the help fellas